|Helma Orosz (2008)|
|Mayor of Dresden|
|Preceded by||Ingolf Roßberg|
|Saxon Minister of Social Affairs|
|Mayor of Weißenberg|
May 11, 1953 |
Helma Orosz ([ˈoros]; born 11 May 1953 in Görlitz) is a German politician and member of the CDU. She was the Saxon State Minister for Social Affairs between 2003 and 2008 and Oberbürgermeister (mayor) of Dresden since June 2008.
Orosz worked as assistant director of a nursery school in Weißwasser since the 1970s. In 1989 she became leader of the district nursery school association, and in 1990 she was appointed head of Weißwasser district's department of health and social services. She kept that position when the district was merged into the Niederschlesischer Oberlausitzkreis.
In 2008 Orosz was elected mayor of Dresden. She received 47.61% of the vote on the first ballot and 64% on the second ballot. Orosz campaigned as a representative of the progressive "urbane" wing of the CDU, in line with mayors Petra Roth of Frankfurt and Ole von Beust of Hamburg.
Orosz supported the construction of the Waldschlösschen Bridge which cost Dresden its status as a World Heritage Site. As a protest against the bridge artist Erika Lust in 2009 created a painting which depicted a bare-breasted Orosz in front of the bridge. Orosz obtained a preliminary injunction against public display of the painting, but the Oberlandesgericht ("Higher Regional Court") judged the artistic freedom and the artist's freedom of expression more important than Orosz' personal rights. Orosz did not appeal to the Federal Constitutional Court.
- Burger, Reiner (23 June 2008). "Helma Orosz soll für frischen Wind sorgen". Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (in German).
- "Vita" (in German). Helma-Orosz.de. Archived from the original on 11 June 2008.
- "Kommunalwahl in Sachsen: CDU-Sozialministerin Orosz liegt in Dresden vorn". Der Spiegel (in German). June 8, 2008.
- "Dresden schlägt die „letzte Chance“ aus". Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (in German). 4 July 2008.
- "Lust-Nackt-Gemälde von Helga Orosz sorgt weiter für Streit". Lausitzer Rundschau (in German). 9 April 2010.
- "Die Domina-Theorie". Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). 16 April 2010.
- "Orosz verzichtet bei Nacktbild auf Verfassungsklage". Bild (in German). 20 April 2010.
- "OB Helma Orosz kehrt im März ins Amt zurück". Sächsische Zeitung (in German). 22 December 2011.