Location in North Brabant
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Elly Blanksma-van den Heuvel (CDA)|
|• Total||54.75 km2 (21.14 sq mi)|
|• Land||53.23 km2 (20.55 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.52 km2 (0.59 sq mi)|
|Elevation||18 m (59 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||1,681/km2 (4,350/sq mi)|
|Demonym||Helmondenaar, Helmonder, Helmonter|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
The name 'Helmond' can be traced back to a combination of Hel, which means "low-lying" (from Proto-Germanic *haljæ / contemporary Hel), and Mond, which would refer to a higher ground, secure place. The name has nothing to do with the contemporary literal translation of Hell Mouth. In 1241 a first weapon of arms was created, containing a helmet as a reference to the word Helmond, since this early in history the historical meaning of the city name was already lost to its inhabitants. This helmet would symbolize the fortified medieval town. Originally a medieval pot helmet, this was later adapted to a new fashion style and is now a tournament helmet. The oak branches symbolizing freedom. The bird in the branches is a medieval decoration and has no meaning.
Helmond is subdivided into quarters and neighbourhoods:
- Quarter 11 Inner City
- Neighbourhood 0 Centrum
- Neighbourhood 2 Leonardus
- Neighbourhood 3 Heipoort
- Neighbourhood 4 Stationsgebied
- Neighbourhood 5 Vossenberg
- Neighbourhood 6 Annabuurt en Suytkade
- Neighbourhood 7 Steenweg en omgeving
- Quarter 11 Helmond-East
- Neighbourhood 0 Beisterveld
- Neighbourhood 1 Beisterveldse Broek
- Neighbourhood 2 Straakven
- Quarter 12 Helmond-North
- Neighbourhood 0 Bloemvelden
- Neighbourhood 1 Binderen
- Neighbourhood 2 Eeuwsels
- Quarter 13 Mierlo-Hout
- Neighbourhood 0 't Hout-Centrum
- Neighbourhood 1 Kroon
- Neighbourhood 2 Akkers
- Neighbourhood 3 Gansenwinkel
- Neighbourhood 9 Groot Goor
- Quarter 14 Brouwhuis
- Neighbourhood 0 Brouwhuis-Dorp
- Neighbourhood 1 Brouwhuis-West
- Neighbourhood 2 Brouwhuis-Oost
- Neighbourhood 4 Brouwhorst
- Neighbourhood 9 Kloostereind
- Quarter 15 Helmond-West
- Neighbourhood 0 West
- Neighbourhood 1 Houtsdonk
- Quarter 16 Warande
- Neighbourhood 0 Oranjebuurt
- Neighbourhood 1 Zwanenbeemd
- Neighbourhood 9 Overbrug
- Quarter 17 Stiphout
- Neighbourhood 0 Stiphout-Dorp
- Neighbourhood 1 Schooten
- Neighbourhood 9 Geeneind
- Quarter 18 Rijpelberg
- Neighbourhood 1 Rijpelberg-Oost
- Neighbourhood 2 Rijpelberg-West
- Neighbourhood 9 Berkendonk
- Quarter 19 Dierdonk
- Neighbourhood 0 Kern Dierdonk
- Neighbourhood 9 Scheepstal
- Quarter 21 Brandevoort
- Neighbourhood 1 De Veste
- Neighbourhood 2 Schutsboom
- Neighbourhood 3 Stepekolk
- Neighbourhood 4 Berenbroek
- Quarter 29 Industrial park-South
- Neighbourhood 1 Hoogeind
- Neighbourhood 2 B.Z.O.B.
First settlements in the area were around 1000, and Helmond was granted city rights in approximately 1232. The centre of Helmond has a castle which was built by Jan III van Berlaer around 1350.
The municipal council consists of 37 seats. Below the council since 1998:
|Trots op Nederland||-||-||-||2|
- The political parties SDH-OH, Helmondse Belangen, and D66 form 1 parliamentary group in the council, but took part in the elections separately. In the elections they received 4, 2 and 2 seats respectively.
Representatives of the blue colored parliamentary groups form the executive coalition.
- See also People from Helmond
- Anthonius Konings (1821-1884), Redemptionist professor
- Franz Jozef Van Beeck (1930-2011), author and theologian
- Willy van der Kuijlen (born 1946), football (soccer) player
- Lisette Sevens (born 1949), field hockey player
- René and Willy van de Kerkhof (born 1951), football (soccer) players and twins
- Fieke Boekhorst (born 1957), field hockey player
- Elly Blanksma-van den Heuvel (born 1959), politician and former banking manager (mayor of Helmond since 2012)
- Berry van Aerle (born 1962), football (soccer) player
- Harry van Bommel (born 1962), politician
- Diana van Berlo (born 1966), former member of disco/pop girl group Luv'
- Stochelo Rosenberg (born 1968), Gypsy Jazz performer
- M. H. Benders (born 1971), poet
- Wilfred Bouma (born 1978), football (soccer) player
- Nieky Holzken (born 1983), thaiboxer
Twin towns — sister cities
Helmond is twinned with:
- "Mw. Elly Blanksma- Van den Heuvel" (in Dutch). Gemeente Helmond. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 5707BX". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- Vlisco Véritable Hollandais
- Jos & Cor Swanenberg: Taal in stad en land: Oost-Brabants, ISBN 9012090105
- "CBS StatLine - Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2004-2010". Statline.cbs.nl. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Zielona Góra Miasta partnerskie". Urząd Miasta Zielona Góra. Retrieved 2013-06-24.