Helmut K. Anheier (born April 4, 1954) is an academic currently serving as Dean of the Hertie School of Governance. His research interests include methodological questions of sociological research with different units of analysis, organizational theory and the interaction of globalisation and civil society more broadly.
Anheier was educated at the University of Trier in Germany and at Yale, after completing a PhD in 1986 based on 15 month of field work in West Africa for data gathering. Dr. Anheier worked in the late 1980s as a social affairs officer at the United Nations. His academic career included posts at Rutgers and the London School of Economics, where Anheier held a Centennial Professorship and founded and directed the Centre for Civil Society; he then moved to UCLA where he established the Center for Civil Society. From the year 2000 on he published several articles and encyclopedia entries about the normative dimension of "civil" society as an anlytical concept for sociological investigations. At UCLA he was from 2001 - 2009 Professor of Public Policy and Social Welfare.
Anheier is today also chair of Sociology at Heidelberg University and Academic Director of the Center for Social Investment at that same University. He is responsible for over 300 academic publications and has authored academic works on civil society and organizational theory. Anheier is a founding editor of the NGO journal Voluntas. His book Nonprofit Organizations has been described as the first fully comprehensive textbook in its field. Not only this book but also "When things go wrong" published 1999 by Sage Publications are reference books in graduate departments throughout Anglo-American universities. Anheier has articles in the international top journals of sociological research with co-authoring academics like Paul DiMaggio from Princeton University or Jürgen Gerhards form the Free University of Berlin.
- David Hammack and Helmut K. Anheier Foundations and American Society. Washington DC: The Brookings Institution Press (2009).
- Helmut K. Anheier. Nonprofit Organizations: Theory, Management and Policy. New York, London: Routledge (2nd edition; fully revised and expanded, 2010).
- Helmut K. Anheier and Andreas Schroeer. Nonprofit Organization: Ein Lehrbuch. Wiesbaden: VS Verlag, 2010.
- Helmut K. Anheier and Diana Leat. Creative Philanthropy. New York, London: Routledge (2006).
- Helmut K. Anheier and Regina List. International Dictionary of Nonprofit and Nongovernmental Organizations. London: Taylor & Francis (2005).
- "Global Cultural Futures project - Helmut Anheier". CCI. 21 August 2009.
- "Dean Helmut K. Anheier". Hertie School of Governance.
- "Helmut Anheier CV". Hertie School of Governance.
- "Helmut Anheier (profile)". UCLA School of Public Affairs.
- Benjamin, Alison (22 November 2002). "Trust deeds". Guardian.
- Stapp, Katherine (10 June 2006). "DEVELOPMENT-US: Bush's "YOYO" Budget and Nonprofits' Angst". IPS News.
- "Prof. Dr. Helmut Anheier - Curriculum Vitae". University of Heidelberg.
- "Dr Helmut Anheier". London School of Economics.
- Harris, Margaret (2 June 2006). "Charitable intent". Times Higher Educational Supplement.
|This article about a sociologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|