Gneuss is emeritus professor at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, where he occupied the chair for English language from 1965 to 1997. He is a member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities, the Academia Europaea, the British Academy, the Austrian Academy of Sciences, and the Medieval Academy of America.
Gneuss's 1976 article on the Anglo-Saxon poem The Battle of Maldon is regarded as "a turning point" in the history of Maldon scholarship. Specifically, his extensive lexicographical study of the important word ofermod "proved beyond doubt" that it means "pride", settling an important question in the interpretation of the poem; in the words of Fred C. Robinson, "the poet's use of ofermod signals a criticism of Byrhtnoth's generalship."
His 1981 publication A preliminary list of manuscripts written or owned in England up to 1100 was described as the next milestone in Anglo-Saxon manuscript studies after Neil Ripley Ker's 1957 book Catalogue of manuscripts containing Anglo-Saxon. The "preliminary" list ("an indispensable tool and essential starting point for anyone interested in Anglo-Saxon literary culture") was followed in 2001 by an expanded and redefined book, Handlist of Anglo-Saxon Manuscripts: A List of Manuscripts and Manuscript Fragments Written or Owned in England up to 1100. The "impact and significance" of his Handlist was the subject of a 2008 Festschrift edited by Thomas N. Hall and Donald Scragg.
- A preliminary list of manuscripts written or owned in England up to 1100. Cambridge: Cambridge UP. 1981.
- Handlist of Anglo-Saxon Manuscripts: A List of Manuscripts and Manuscript Fragments Written or Owned in England up to 1100. Medieval and Renaissance Texts and Studies 241. Tempe: Arizona Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies. 2001. ISBN 0-86698-283-3.
- "Portrait: Zur Geschichte des Lehrstuhls". Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- Gneuss, Helmut (1976). "'The Battle of Maldon' 89: Byrhtnoð's 'Ofermod' Once Again". Studies in Philology 73 (2): 117–37. JSTOR 4173900.
- Hallbrooks, H. (2004). "Byrhtnoth's great-hearted mirth, or praise and blame in The Battle of Maldon". Philological Quarterly 82 (3): 235–55.
- Janet Cooper, ed. (1993). "The Battle of Maldon: Fact or Fiction?". The Battle of Maldon: fiction and fact. Continuum. pp. 19–32. ISBN 978-1-85285-065-4.
- Lapidge, Michael (1993). "Abbot Germanus, Winchcombe, Ramsey and the Cambridge Psalter". Anglo-Latin Literature 900-1066. Continuum. p. 387. ISBN 1-85285-012-4.
- "Rev. of Helmut Gneuss, Handlist of Anglo-Saxon Manuscripts". Medium Aevum. September 2002.
- Webber, Teresa (2011). "Rev. of Hall and Scragg, Anglo-Saxon books and their readers : essays in celebration of Helmut Gneuss's Handlist of Anglo-Saxon manuscripts". Journal of English and Germanic Philology 110 (2): 235–37. Retrieved 5 April 2012.
- Literature by and about Helmut Gneuss in the German National Library catalogue
- Helmut Gneuss page at LMU Munich
|This article about a writer of non-fiction is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|