27 February 1908|
|Died||27 March 1945
|Allegiance|| Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1925–1945|
|Commands held||562. Volks-Grenadier Division|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Helmuth Hufenbach (27 February 1908 – 27 March 1945) was a highly decorated Generalmajor in the Wehrmacht during World War II, and one of only 882 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Helmuth Hufenbach was killed on 27 March 1945 in the Heiligenbeil Pocket. He was posthumously promoted to Generalmajor and awarded the Oak Leaves to his Knight's Cross.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (21 September 1939)
- 1st Class (24 October 1939)
- Wound Badge
- in Black or in Silver
- Eastern Front Medal
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Kuban Shield
- German Cross in Gold (27 November 1941)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Mentioned in the Wehrmachtbericht (10 October 1943)
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 196.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 83.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
Generalmajor Johannes-Oskar Brauer
|Commander of 562. Volks-Grenadier Division
22 January 1945 – 27 March 1945