Heloise Bowles Cruse
May 14, 1919
|Died||December 28, 1977(aged 58)|
|Occupation||Newspaper columnist, author|
Born in Fort Worth, Texas, Bowles married Marshal (Mike) Holman Cruse, a US Air Force Captain (later Colonel) in 1946. Their daughter Ponce Kiah Marchelle Heloise Cruse, born in 1951, is the current "Heloise."
The original column was first published in the Honolulu Advertiser as "Readers' Exchange" in 1959. In 1961, King Features syndicated it as "Hints from Heloise,"; nearly 600 newspapers carried the column, and, at the time of her death, it was one of three most popular (in terms of syndication) in the United States.
Her book Heloise's Housekeeping Hints was, at half a million copies total, one of the top 10 selling hardcover books in 1963. The book later became the fastest selling paperback in the history of its publisher Pocket Books.
- Heloise’s Housekeeping Hints (1962)
- Heloise’s Kitchen Hints (1963)
- Heloise All Around the House (1965)
- Hints For Working Women (1966)
- Heloise’s Work and Money Savers (1967)
- Heloise Bowles Dies at 58. Florence Times Daily. p. 27. Dec 29 1977.
- Heloise Bowles of 'Hints' column. St Petersburg Times, Dec 30, 1977. P. 11B
- Heloise Bowles Cruise Find a grave entry
- HELOISE BOWLES CRUSE—THE ORIGINAL HELOISE
- Life Stories: Profiles from the New Yorker. David Remnick, editor. Modern Library. 2001.