|Type||Public (LSE: HGG, ASX: HGG)|
|Headquarters||Dublin (principal place of business, London)|
|Key people||Rupert Pennant-Rea, Chairman
Andrew Formica, Chief Executive
|Products||Equities, Fixed Income, Property, Private Equity|
|Revenue||£437.8 million (2012)|
|Operating income||£146.5 million (2012)|
|Net income||£99.9 million (2012)|
Henderson Group plc (LSE: HGG, ASX: HGG) is a global investment management company with its principal place of business in the City of London. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index. It is also listed on the Australian Securities Exchange as a member of the S&P/ASX 200 index.
On re-listing as HHG Group in 2003 the group comprised:
• Henderson Global Investors, a UK-based investment manager
• Life Services (comprising the life and pension books of Pearl Assurance plc, NPI Limited, National Provident Life Limited and London Life Limited, and HHG Services Limited.)
• The financial advisory firm, Towry Law
Since 31 October 2008, the Group has been incorporated in Jersey and tax-resident in the Republic of Ireland.
In 2010 the company rebranded itself as Henderson Global Investors.
Acquisitions and sales
|Acquired Touche Remnant from Société Générale||1992|
|March 1998 bought by AMP Limited (and subsequently integrated with AMP Asset Management's operations
in the UK and Australasia as Henderson Global Investors.)
|Demerged from AMP Limited as HHG Group.||2003|
|Sale of 50% stake in Virgin Money Group to joint venture partner Virgin Group.||2004|
|Sale of Life Services business and change of name to Henderson Group||2005|
|AMP Limited sold its remaining 15% stake in the Company.||2005|
|Sale of Towry Law, the financial advisory business.||2006|
|Acquisition of New Star Asset Management Group PLC.||April 2009|
|Acquisition of Gartmore Group Limited, giving a combined estimated AUM of £78.1bn as
at 31 December 2010.
The company invests in four primary asset classes: equities, fixed income, property and private equity. It has assets under management of £64.3 billion (as at 31 December 2011)) and employs around 1,100 people worldwide.
In Europe, Henderson has offices in Amsterdam, Dublin, Edinburgh, Frankfurt, Luxembourg, Madrid, Milan, Paris, Vienna, Zurich and London. Henderson moved into the North American market in 1999, when it acquired US real estate investment manager Phoenix Realty Advisers, and currently has offices in Chicago and Hartford. In Asia, Henderson has offices in New Delhi, Singapore (Asia headquarters), Hong Kong, Tokyo and Beijing as well as in Sydney, Australia.
Henderson Group’s Chief Economist, Simon Ward, is a regular commentator on the economy and markets. Henderson Group’s institutional product range also includes a range of hedge funds (under the Alphagen name), Private Equity and Property.
- Times article: Profile of CEO Andrew Formica
- Preliminary Results 2012
- Henderson Group History
- Troubled insurance group debuts
- Henderson to leave UK tax regime
- New Star name to disappear in Henderson shake-up
- HHG divestment strategy opens with Virgin sale
- AMP wins as UK spin off sells life funds for $2.6bn
- AMP sells the last of Henderson stake
- UK Business Park: Towry Law
- The Times article: Henderson buys New Star for £115m
- Money Observer: Henderson confirms Gartmore takeover
- Journal: Money Moves Markets
- Trustnet offshore mutual fund profile: Henderson AlphaGen Capella