Henley on Klip
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
|Henley on Klip|
|• Total||11.37 km2 (4.39 sq mi)|
|• Density||520/km2 (1,300/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||40.2%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Postal code (street)||1961|
Henley on Klip is situated next to the R59 between Johannesburg and Vereeniging. The village was founded in 1904, by Advocate Horace Kent. Born in 1855 in Henley on Thames, England, Kent came to South Africa in 1898. The area where Henley on Klip is located, reminded Kent of his hometown, in England, Henley on Thames. Kent, in conjunction with the Small Farms Company (SFC), bought the land from a Mr. Van Der Westhuizen, for a price of 5000 Pounds, and the land was divided into smallholdings from 1 to 80 acres (320,000 m2).
In 1904, the SFC decided to build the Kidson Weir on the Klip River in Henley on Klip. The weir was named after Fenning Kidson, the grandson of an 1820 settler. Fenning was educated in England, but returned to South Africa as a young man and became a transport rider, a contemporary of Sir Percy Fitzpatrick. Soon after the outbreak of the Anglo Boer War, news came to Kidson that a commando was on his way to his farm to arrest him. Under the noses of the Boers he escaped, riding sidesaddle, his burly frame crammed into his wife’s riding habit. He finally made his way to Natal, but returned to the Transvaal after the war, settling in Henley on Klip with his wife, Edith. The family home was named Tilham, which is the manor house on the river at the corner of Regatta and Shillingford Roads
Henley has a very strong sense of community spirit, this is
- Henley Watch
- Lions Club
- Rotary Club
- Henley Performing Arts
- First Henley Scout Troop
There are three schools in the village.
- Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls - an investment in the future of South Africa by the Talkshow hostess Oprah Winfrey
- Henley Prep & Henley High
- Assemblies of God (AOG) College
A number of markets are held throughout the village on the last Saturday of the month.
- Art on the Lawn - Regatta Rd
- Kliphouse Market - Ewelme Rd (Discontinued)
- Wyetti Craft market - Wargrave Rd
On the First Saturday of each month:
- The New Henley Market is at "The Bowler" (Henley on Klip Bowling Club) corner of Winchester & Hearn roads in Henley on Klip.
Follow the signs from the R59 - Crafts, Art Jewellery, Cakes, Gifts, Books, Food and Preserves, Jumping Castle and lots more.
- Midvaal Local Municipality
- Vaal Triangle Info
- Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy Foundation
- 90.6FM - The Vaal's Hit Station
- Henley High & Preparatory School
- Henley Watch