Henning Larsen in 1967
20 August 1925|
|Died||22 June 2013
|Alma mater||Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts|
|Practice||Henning Larsen Architects|
|Buildings||Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Saudi Arabia).|
Henning Larsen, Hon. FAIA (20 August 1925 – 22 June 2013) was a Danish architect. He is internationally known for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs building in Riyadh and the Copenhagen Opera House. He was the founder of the company that bears his name, Henning Larsen Architects (Formerly Henning Larsens Tegnestue A/S). His opera house was fraught with controversy and he was forced to modify the design. He died on the day that its roof was used as a publicity stunt for the sport of cliff diving. He studied under Arne Jacobsen and Jørn Utzon.
- 1968 The campus center in Dragvoll at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim
- 1979 The Danish embassy, Riyadh
- 1982–87 Commercial college and residences, Frederiksberg
- 1982–84 Ministry of foreign affairs, Riyadh
- 1984–85 Gentofte library
- 1992 The Møller Centre for Continuing Education, Churchill College, Cambridge
- 1997 Extension of Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek
- 1995 Egebjerggård, Ballerup
- 1994–1999 Extension of Malmö public library
- 1999 Head office of Nordea, Copenhagen
- 2004 Copenhagen Opera House
- 2004 IT University of Copenhagen
- 2007 Musikens hus (The house of music), Uppsala, Sweden
- 2004–2007 The Roland Levinsky Building as part of the University of Plymouth, England.
- 1965 Eckersberg Medal
- 1985 Honorary member of the American Institute of Architects
- 1985 C.F. Hansen Medal
- 1986 Prince Eugen Medal
- 1987 The Daylight and Building Component Award
- 1987 Nykredit Architecture Prize
- 1987 International Design Award, United Kingdom
- 1989 Aga Khan Award for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Riyadh
- 1991 Honorary member of the Royal Institute of British Architects
- 1997 Kasper Salin Prize, Sweden
- 1999 Architectural Award of the Dreyer Foundation
- 2001 Stockholm Award
- 2012 Praemium Imperiale
- AF Anders Legarth Schmidt (23 June 2013). "Lysets mester er død" (in Danish). Politiken.dk.
- Lebrecht, Norman (24 June 2013) Contestants leap off opera house roof, architect drops dead. Arts Journal.
- Grabar, Henry (3 July 2013). "Henning Larsen's Greatest Building Was Also His Greatest Failure". The Atlantic Cities. The Atlantic Media Company.
- "Nykredit Architecture Prize". Nykredit website (in Danish). Copenhagen, Denmark: Nykredit Holding A/S. 2013. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Aga Khan Award for Architecture". Aga Khan Development Network. Retrieved 23 September 2009.
- Henrik Sten Møller, Legen og lyset. En frise over Henning Larsen som menneske og arkitekt (Light and Life. A portrait of Henning Larsen), Politikens Forlag 2000, ISBN 87-567-6551-7
- Henning Larsen, De skal sige tak. Kulturhistorisk testamente om Operaen (You ought to be thankful. A historical document about the Opera), People's Press 2009. ISBN 978-87-7055-783-2
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Henning Larsen.|
- Architekturbüro Henning Larsen (dänisch, englisch)
- Henning Larsen at the archINFORM database
- Henning Larsens architect practice
- Sketches by Henning Larsen
- University Campus In Kolding