|This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the German Wikipedia. (August 2010)|
|Born||Frieda Ulricke Porten
7 January 1890
|Died||15 October 1960
|Occupation||Actress, film producer|
She was one of the few German actress of the era to enter film without having stage experiences. Many of her earlier films were directed by her husband Curt A. Stark, who died during World War I in Transsylvania on the Eastern Front in 1916. Her father, Franz Porten, was also an actor and film director.
In 1921, she remarried, to Wilhelm von Kaufmann. When the Nazis took power and she refused to divorce her Jewish husband, she found that her career, while doing twelve films a year, dissolved immediately. When she resolved on emigration, she was denied an exit visa to prevent a negative impression. She made ten films during the Nazi era. Her placid and reassuring persona helped calm audiences confronted with Allied bombardment. In 1944, after an aerial mine destroyed her home, she and her husband were out on the streets, as it was forbidden to shelter a full Jew.
- The Robber Bride (1916)
- The Queen's Love Letter (1916)
- The Wandering Light (1916)
- Imprisoned Soul (1917)
- The Princess of Neutralia (1917)
- The Marriage of Luise Rohrbach (1917)
- Countess Kitchenmaid (1918)
- The Homecoming of Odysseus (1918)
- Her Sport (1919)
- Anna Boleyn (1920)
- The Vulture Wally (1921)
- The Ancient Law (1923)
- I.N.R.I. (1923)
- The Merchant of Venice (1923)
- Gräfin Donelli (1924)
- Roses from the South (1926)
- Lotte (1928)
- The Mistress and her Servant (1929)
- Skandal um Eva (1930)
- The Comedians (1941)
- Absender unbekannt (1950)
- Carola Lamberti - Eine vom Zirkus (1954)
- Das Fräulein von Scuderi (1955)
- Cinzia Romani, Tainted Goddesses: Female Film Stars of the Third Reich p33 ISBN 0-9627613-1-1
- Curt A. Stark biographical data in IMDB. Retrieved 2013-10-16.
- Curt A. Stark biography on film-zeit.de. Retrieved 2013-10-16.
- Cinzia Romani, Tainted Goddesses: Female Film Stars of the Third Reich p34 ISBN 0-9627613-1-1
- Cinzia Romani, Tainted Goddesses: Female Film Stars of the Third Reich p35 ISBN 0-9627613-1-1
- "Progressive Silent Film List: Gräfin Donelli". Silent Era. Retrieved 2009-09-11.