Peter Henri Bortoft (1938 – 29 December 2012) was a British independent researcher and teacher, lecturer and writer on physics and the philosophy of science. He is best known for his work The Wholeness of Nature, considered a relevant and original recent interpretation of Goethean science. His book Taking Appearance Seriously: The Dynamic Way of Seeing in Goethe and European Thought was published in 2012.
Bortoft completed his studies at the University of Hull, and then performed postgraduate research on the foundations of quantum physics at Birkbeck College, where theoretical physicist David Bohm introduced him to the problem of wholeness in quantum theory. Subsequently, Bortoft worked with John G. Bennett on the topic of perception of wholeness.
Bortoft taught physics and philosophy of science at Schumacher College in the framework of the program in Holistic Science. He has held numerous lectures and seminars in Great Britain and the United States on the scientific work of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and on the development of modern science.
- Henri Bortoft Taking Appearance Seriously: The Dynamic Way of Seeing in Goethe and European Thought, Floris Books, 2012, ISBN 978-086315-927-5
- The Wholeness of Nature: Goethe's way toward a science of conscious participation in nature, Lindisfarne Press, 1996, ISBN 978-0-940262-79-9
- Goethe's Scientific Consciousness, Octagon press, 1986, ISBN 978-0-904674-10-1
- Counterfeit and Authentic Wholes, In D. Seamon and R. Mugerauer, eds.: Dwelling, Place and Environment: Toward a Phenomenology of Person and World, pp. 281–302, Columbia University Press, 1985
- The Whole: Counterfeit and Authentic, Systematics, 9 (2): 43-73., 1971
- with J. G. Bennett and K. W. Pledge: Towards an objectively complete language: An essay in objective description as applied to scientific procedure, Systematics, vol. 3, no. 3, 1965
- Harding, Stephan; Franses, Philip; Shaw, Patricia (January 2013). "A Tribute to Henri Bortoft". Schumacher College. Retrieved 2013-01-08.
- Book review on Wholeness of Nature by David Seamon, originally appeared in Parabola, 22, 3 (Fall 1997): 90-91
- Book review on The Wholeness of Nature by John Barnes
- Henri Bortoft (German)
- Add to Timeline (2013-01-05). "PETER HENRI BORTOFT : Death - FamilyNotices24 - Eastern Daily Press". FamilyNotices24. Retrieved 2013-01-09.
- Henri Borthoft at Schumacher College
- Henri Bortoft: The transformation of consciousness
- Goethian science, by H. Bortoft
- Dialogue on leadership, interview with Henri Bortoft by Claus Otto Scharmer, 1999
- Review of Henri Bortoft's Taking Appearance Seriously