|Governor of Lara|
|Preceded by||Luis Reyes Reyes|
|Mayor of Barquisimeto|
|Succeeded by||Amalia Saez|
June 19, 1961 |
|Political party||Advanced Progressive
(since Feb 2012 - previously PSUV and Fatherland for all)
Henri Falcón Fuentes (born 17 June 1961) is a Venezuelan politician. He was mayor for two consecutive terms of Barquisimeto, Iribarren Municipality (2000 - 2008) and is the current governor of Lara State (since 2008).
Born in Nirgua, Yaracuy State 17 June 1961, Falcón began his secondary studies at Valencia, Carabobo State, Venezuela until he entered in the armed forces of Venezuela in Caracas as non-commissioned officer of the army. He left the army with the rank of Maestro Técnico de Primera (the third highest of the eight ranks of sub-officials in the Venezuelan military). In 1987 he married Marielba Díaz, with whom he had four children. In 1992 he began his graduate studies in political science at Simón Bolívar University.
During his studies in Caracas he met Hugo Chávez shortly before the 1992 Venezuelan coup d'état attempts, and through Chávez met Luis Reyes Reyes (who later would be the Governor of Lara between 2000 and 2008). Falcón was elected as a delegate to the 1999 National Constituent Assembly from Lara State.
In the regional elections of 2000, he was elected mayor the city of Barquisimeto, Iribarren Municipality, the third most populous city in Venezuela, earning 51.61% of the vote. He was reelected in the regional elections of 2004 with an overwhelming 64.33% of the vote.
Governor of Lara State
In 2007, Movimiento V República (MVR, "Fifth Republic Movement"), of which Falcón was a member, was transformed into the United Socialist Party of Venezuela (PSUV). On 21 February 2010 Governor Falcón, at the time called a "Chavista light", gave a letter to President Hugo Chávez declaring his resignation from the PSUV to join the more independent pro-government party Patria Para Todos (PPT, "Fatherland for All"), and to become a member of the latter party's national directorate. Falcón declared that "The relation between a Head of state and the governors and mayors cannot be limited to the emission of instructions or orders without the minimum opportunity that we can confront points of view, to analyze the pros and the cons of your determined initiatives and to revise or to revoke decisions that, after their execution, turn out to be harmful or objections to the interest of the region or of the country".
However, in June 2012, Falcón announced the creation of a new political party, called Advanced Progressive, that was aligned with the opposition coalition (known as MUD), and thus supported the candidacy of Henrique Capriles against incumbent President Hugo Chavez in the 2012 Venezuelan presidential election.
- "Henri Falcón ganó gobernación de Lara con 73,15 por ciento de los votos". Abrebrecha. ABN. 24 December 2008. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "En Barquisimeto la oposición hizo el trabajo". El-Nacional. 14 December 2012. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- Leidys Asuaje, El gobernador más votado el 23-N no utilizó portaaviones ("The governor who received the most votes on November 23 did not utilize aircraft carrier"), El Nacional/GDA. 2008-12-04.
- Henri Falcón ganó gobernación de Lara con 73,15 por ciento de los votos ("Henri Falcón won governorship of Lara 73.15% of the votes"), Agencia Bolivariana de Noticias (ABN). 2008-11-24.
- Gobernadores socialistas ratificaron su compromiso por la enmienda constitucional ("Socialist governors ratified their commitment to constitutional amendment"), Agencia Bolivariana de Noticias 2008-12=14.
- "El chavismo arrasa en todas las gobernaciones: solo Capriles y Henri Falcón se mantienen". Noticias24.com. 16 December 2012. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- PPT incorporará a su directiva al gobernador Henri Falcón, "PPT will incorporate governor Henri Falcón into its directorate", El Impulso, 2010-03-06.
- La carta que Henry Falcon escribio a Chavez para anunciar su salida del PSUV" ("The letter that Henri Falcón wrote to Chávez to announce his exit from the PSUV", El Universal / Notícias 24, 2010-02-22. Quote: ""La relación entre un Jefe de Estado y los gobernadores y alcaldes no puede limitarse a la emisión de instrucciones u órdenes sin la mínima oportunidad de que podamos confrontar puntos de vista, analizar los pros y los contras de determinadas iniciativas y revisar o revocar decisiones que, luego de su ejecución, resultan dañinas o inconvenientes al interés de la región o del país."
- Espinoza, Carina (9 June 2012). "Henri Falcón crea partido Avanzada Progresista". El Universal. Retrieved 22 September 2014.