Henri Jean Baptiste Anatole Leroy-Beaulieu
In 1866 he published Une troupe de comédiens, and afterwards Essai sur la restoration de nos monuments historiques devant l'art et devant le budget, which deals particularly with the restoration of the cathedral of Evreux. He visited Russia in order to collect documents on the political and economic organization of the Slavic nations, and on his return published in the Revue des deux mondes (1882–1889) a series of articles, which appeared shortly afterwards in book form under the title L'Empire des tsars et les Russes (4th ed., revised in 3 vols., 1897–1898). The work entitled Un empereur, un roi, un pope, une restauration, published in 1879, was an analysis and criticism of the politics of the Second French Empire. Un homme d'état russe (1884) gave the history of the emancipation of the serfs by Alexander II.
Other works are Les Catholiques libéraux, l'église et la libéralisme (1890), La Papauté, le socialisme at la démocracie (1892), Les Juifs et l'Antisémitisme; Israël chez les Nations (1893), Les Arméniens et la question arménienne (1896), L'Antisémitisme (1897), Etudes russes et européennes (1897). These writings, mainly collections of articles and lectures intended for the general public, display enlightened views and wide information.
In 1881 Leroy-Beaulieu was elected professor of contemporary history and eastern affairs at the École Libre des Sciences Politiques, becoming director of this institution on the death of Albert Sorel in 1906, and in 1887 he became a member of the Académie des Sciences Morales et Politiques.
Three of Leroy-Beaulieu's works have been translated into English:
- Empire of the Tsars and the Russians, by Zénaïde Alexeïevna Ragozin (New York, 1893–1896)
- Papacy, Socialism, Democracy, by B. L. O'Donnell (1892)
- Israel among the Nations: A Study of the Jews and Antisemitism, by F. Hellman (1900)
Alos see W. E. H. Lecky, Historical and Political Essays (1908).
His brother, Pierre Paul Leroy-Beaulieu (1843–1916), was a notable French economist.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Leroy-Beaulieu, Henri Jean Baptiste Anatole". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- Georges Goyau (1913). "Anatole Leroy-Beaulieu". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- Anatole Leroy-Beaulieu, Frances Hellman (1895). Israel Among the Nations. G. P. Putnam's sons.