Bousfield was born on 27 March 1832, the son of William Cheek Bousfield, a barrister. He was educated at Merchant Taylors’ and Caius. Ordained in 1856, his first post was as a Curate at All Saints, Braishfield. From 1861 to 1870 he was Vicar of St Maurice Winchester, then Rural Dean of Andover from 1870 to 1878.
He became the inaugural Bishop of Pretoria in 1878 holding the post until his death on 10 February 1902. He was instrumental in promoting the Anglican church in what is today the Limpopo Province and the Anglican Diocese of St Mark the Evangelist. At the urging of local congregants in Polokwane (then, Pietersburg) he sent Christ Church Polokwane their first rector, Rev A. Weinstein, in 1895. Christ Church Polokwane became a centre of mission work into the northern region of the Anglican Diocese of Pretoria.
- Six Years in the Transvaal: notes on the founding of the church there, 1886
- Notes for Catechising
Bousfield married, in 1861, Charlotte Elizabeth Higginson, daughter of Jonathan Higginson, of Rock Ferry, Liverpool. She died in 1886, and he re-married, in 1888, Ellen Lamb, daughter of Thomas Lamb, of Andover.
|Anglican Communion titles|
|Bishop of Pretoria
William Marlborough Carter
- The Times, Monday, Jul 05, 1858; pg. 5; Issue 22890; col B University Intelligence. Cambridge, July 3
- Wits Papers
- “Who was Who” 1897-2007 London, A & C Black, 2007 ISBN 978-0-19-954087-7
- "Bousfield, Henry Brougham (BSFT851HB)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "The Clergy List, Clerical Guide and Ecclesiastical Directory" London, Hamilton & Co 1889"
- History of the Diocese
- The Times, Tuesday, Feb 11, 1902; pg. 10; Issue 36688; col E Obituary - The Bishop Of Pretoria
|This South African biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an individual Anglican bishop or archbishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|