Henry C. Turner Prize for Innovation in Construction Technology
The Henry C. Turner Prize for Innovation in Construction Technology is awarded annually by the National Building Museum to recognize outstanding leadership and innovation in the field of construction methods and processes, including engineering design and construction techniques and practices. Created in 2002 by an endowment established by the Turner Construction Company and named after the company's founder, the prize carries a cash award of $25,000.
Past honorees include individuals and organizations such as architect I. M. Pei, for encouraging construction and engineering innovation with his designs; Stanford University civil engineering professor Paul Teicholz, for his work in paving the way for Building Information Modeling; and Engineers Without Borders–USA for efforts in creating sustainable infrastructure in poverty-stricken world communities and for "instilling a sense of global responsibility in the next generation of engineers," according to the award jury. When Frank Gehry accepted the prize on behalf of Gehry Partners in 2007, he stated, "I've gotten a lot of awards from the artsy side of the profession, but this one's from the meat-and-potatoes side, and that's pretty special."
In addition to the Turner Prize, the National Building Museum also awards the Vincent Scully Prize, which honors exemplary practice, scholarship, or criticism in architecture, historic preservation, and urban design, and the Honor Award for individuals and organizations who have made important contributions to the U.S.'s building heritage.
List of Turner Prize winners
|2010||Engineers Without Borders–USA|
|2008||Charles H. Thornton, co-founder of Thornton Tomasetti|
|2007||Gehry Partners and Gehry Technologies|
|2007||Dr. Paul Teicholz|
|2005||U.S. Green Building Council|
|2004||Charles A. DeBenedittis, senior managing director of design and construction, Tishman Speyer Properties|
|2003||I. M. Pei|
|2002||Leslie E. Robertson|
- Peter James (2010-07-13). "Engineers Without Borders Selected for 2010 Turner Prize". Architect Magazine.
- "I. M. Pei's Construction Innovation". Architecture Week. 2003-04-23.
- "Stanford's Teicholz Wins Turner Prize". Engineering Record. 2007-02-19.
- "Engineers Without Borders-USA Selected for 2010 Turner Prize". Engineering News Record. 2010-07-14.
- Stephani Miller (10-12-2007). "Gehry Companies Receive Henry C. Turner Prize". Architect Magazine. Check date values in:
- "Names in the News - January 2009". McGraw Hill Companies.
- "Lectures, Conferences, Symposia". Architectural Record (192.9). 09-01-2004. p. 58. Check date values in:
- "Henry C. Turner Prize". National Building Museum.