Henry Cohen (numismatist)
He published several works during his lifetime. Cohen's Guide de l'amateur des livres à vignettes du XVIII Siècle went through four editions and is considered the standard bibliography of French 18th century illustrated books. He is perhaps best known for his two fundamental works on ancient numismatics: the first, published in 1854, dealt with the Roman Republican coinage, while the second, issued in 8 volumes from 1859 to 1868, focused on the coinage of the Roman Empire, from Pompey to Romulus Augustus (49 BC - 476).
Besides his numismatic works, Cohen wrote several compositions, one of which, the opera "l'Impératrice", was performed, about 1834, in Naples, Paris, and London. Moreover, he published four tracts about musical theory.
- Description générale de monnaies de la République romaine, Paris, 1854
- Guide de l’acheteur de médailles romaines et byzantines, Paris, 1876)
- Description historique des Monnaies frappées sous l'Empire romain, communément appelées Médailles impériales, 8 voll., Paris, 1859–1868,
- Guide de l'amateur de livres à vignettes du XVIII-e siècle, Paris, 1870, (reprints: 1873, 1877, 1880)
- "Henry Cohen's Work". VirtulCohen.com. Retrieved 14 January 2009..
- "Biographies de numismates: Henry Cohen (1806-1880)". SacraMoneta. Retrieved 14 January 2009..
- "Biographies de numismates: Henry Cohen (1806-1880)". SacraMoneta. Retrieved 14 January 2009.
- Also available in Description historique des Monnaies frappées sous l'Empire romain..., Tome II, Paris, 1882, introduction page 5