Henry F. Ludorf
|Henry F. Ludorf|
Polish National Home, Hartford, CT
Childhood and architectural education
Ludorf was born in Chicago in 1899 and graduated from the Pratt Institute of Architecture and the Columbia University School of Architecture. He then worked for 2 years in the offices of C. C. Palmer before establishing his own firm in 1921. His offices were located at 100 Hanson Place, Hartford CT.
Although Ludorf was a prolific designer of churches and schools his most memorable building is the 1929 art deco styled Community Center of the Polish National Home, Hartford Ct. This building was described in a Hartford Courant article as a stately Art Deco cube with a stylish, comfortable and inviting interior for which Ludorf became known for Art Deco buildings in other East Coast cities.
Ludorf was chairman of the Ella Burr McManus Trust Fund and the Connecticut Commission on the Fine Arts.
- St. Adalbert Church, Providence, RI
- St. Anne Church, Hartford, CT
- St Louis Church, Hartford, CT (destroyed by fire)
- St. John the Evangelist Church, New Britain, CT (basement only)
- St. John the Evangelist Rectory, New Britain, CT
- Holy Name Church, Stamford, CT
- St. Peter and Paul Church, Wallingford, CT
- St. Benedict Church and Rectory, Stamford, CT
- St. Mary Church, Bridgeport, CT (renovation, church has been replaced)
- St. Stanislaw School, Bristol, CT
- SS Cyril and Methodius School, Hartford, CT
- St. Joseph School, Webster, MA
- St. Mary School, Middletown, CT
- Polish Community Center, Northampton, MA
- Roosevelt School, New Britain, CT
- Embassy Theatre, New Britain, CT
- Polish Orphan Asylum, New Britain, CT
- Swedish Bethany Church, New Britain, CT
- Community Center of the Polish National Home, Hartford, CT
- Bushnell Tower, Hartford, CT (with I.M. Pei)
Ludorf, Henry F. "AIA Architect Roster Questionnaire, 1946". Retrieved 17 January 2011.
- Tim Condon http://www.hartfordinfo.org/issues/documents/artsandculture/htfd_courant_103005.asp Welcoming Home Hartford Courant October 30, 2005
- http://www.cttrust.org/ctcopar/2588 Connecticut Preservation Trust - Henry F. Ludorf
- http://www.cttrust.org/index.cgi/2588?projects=1 Project Reference
- http://books.google.com/books?id=pkhIAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA58&lpg=PA58&dq=Henry+F.+Ludorf&source=bl&ots=OV-QXP1MGa&sig=wbgwZKnZWG9aRudXImeN-2hXNSA&hl=en&ei=UltPTdn-G4nagAfZjpAf&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CFQQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=Henry%20F.%20Ludorf&f=false Discussion of St. John Rectory and Ludorf practice
- http://historicbuildingsct.com/?cat=47&paged=3 Community Center, Hartford