Henry Howard, 22nd Earl of Arundel
|The Earl of Arundel|
|Spouse(s)||Lady Elizabeth Stuart|
IssueThomas Howard, 5th Duke of Norfolk
Henry Howard, 6th Duke of Norfolk
Lord Philip Howard
Lord Charles Howard
Lord Bernard Howard
|Noble family||House of Howard|
|Father||Thomas Howard, 21st Earl of Arundel|
|Born||15 August 1608|
|Died||17 April 1652|
Arundel was the second son of Thomas Howard, 21st Earl of Arundel and Lady Alethea Talbot, later 13th Baroness Furnivall. After his father's death in 1646 he became Earl of Arundel and the titular head of the Howard family.
Arundel's grandmother Anne, the dowager Countess, arranged for Henry to be baptized and christened as "Frederick Henry" at Woodstock Palace with Anne of Denmark as godmother. Prince Henry and Princess Elizabeth were also present.
Before ascending to the peerage, Lord Arundel had served as Member of Parliament for Arundel in the Parliament of England from 1628 until 1629, and again in 1640. He also represented Callan in the Parliament of Ireland in 1634. He had been due to inherit his mothers peerage (Baron Furnivall), but he pre-deceased her and upon her death in 1654 it was inherited by his eldest son Thomas.
Lord Arundel married Lady Elizabeth Stuart, daughter of Esme Stuart, 3rd Duke of Lennox, on 7 March 1626. They had nine sons and three daughters:
- Thomas Howard, 5th Duke of Norfolk (1626/27–1677), died without issue
- Henry Howard, 6th Duke of Norfolk (1628–1683/84), had issue; (ancestor of 7th through 9th Dukes of Norfolk)
- Hon. Philip Howard (1629–1694), Catholic Cardinal
- Hon. Charles Howard (1630–1713), married Mary Tattershall (d. 1695), had issue, including Henry Howard of Greystoke; who married Mary Aylward (d. 1747), had issue, including Charles Howard, 10th Duke of Norfolk (through whom Charles Howard, 11th Duke of Norfolk was also descended);
- Lady Anne Howard (1632-?)
- Lady Catherine Howard (1634-1655)
- Hon. Talbot Howard (1936-?)
- Hon. Edward Howard (1637-1691)
- Hon. Francis Howard (1640-1722)
- Hon. Bernard Howard of Glossop (1641–1717), married Catherine Tattershall (d. 1727, sister of his brother Charles' wife, Mary) and had issue, including Bernard Howard II of Glossop, who married Anne Roper (d. 1744), had issue, including Henry Howard of Glossop and Sheffield, who married Juliana Molyneux, had issue, including Bernard Howard, 12th Duke of Norfolk, from who all subsequent Dukes of Norfolk descend;
- Hon. Esme Howard (1645–1728), had one daughter, who died unmarried
- Lady Elizabeth Howard (1651-1705)
- Hon. John Howard (1652-1711)
- G. R. Batho. ed., Calendar of Talbot Papers, vol.2 (HMC, HMSO, 1971), p. 336: Lodge vol. 3, p. 238
- Tudor Palace
- "Howard, Henry Frederick". Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900.