Henry Furlow Owsley III
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (July 2014)|
|Henry Furlow Owsley III|
|Residence||New York, New York, USA, Southampton, New York, USA|
|Alma mater||Metairie Park Country Day School
MIT Sloan School of Management
|Occupation||Investment Banker; Investor
Chief Executive Officer and founder at Gordian Group
|Spouse(s)||Alexa "Lexi" Van de Walle|
|Children||Cordell D. Owsley and Camille C. Owsley|
Henry F. Owsley is an American investment banker and the Chief Executive Officer and founder of Gordian Group LLC, an Investment Bank and financial advisory firm. He is also a Managing Partner of Bacchus Capital Management.
Early life and education
Owsley graduated from Metairie Park Country Day School in Metairie, Louisiana in 1973. He attended Princeton University in Princeton, New Jersey, where he graduated with a B.S.E. degree in Civil Engineering, summa cum laude, in 1977. His additional academic honors included election to and membership in Phi Beta Kappa, Tau Beta Pi and Sigma Xi. He was also awarded the James Hayes-Edgar Palmer Prize in Engineering and Applied Science. His activities at Princeton included his service as Chairman of Photography at The Daily Princetonian. He is a member of Tiger Inn, the third oldest eating club at Princeton University. He subsequently attended MIT Sloan School of Management and graduated with an S.M. degree in 1979.
Owsley joined Goldman Sachs in 1979 and worked in the Corporate Finance and Mergers & Acquisitions departments. He founded Goldman Sachs' workout group and was co-founder of its technology group. After Goldman Sachs, he founded Gordian Group, LLC in 1988, a boutique investment bank in New York specializing in solving complex problems in bankruptcy and restructuring. Owsley is the Chief Executive Officer of Gordian Group.
Henry Owsley and co-author and partner, Peter S. Kaufman wrote the definitive book in distressed investment banking, Distressed Investment Banking: To The Abyss and Back,Beard Books, 2005. According to Barry Ridings of Lazard, "Distressed Investment Banking is a book every distressed market profession will want in their bookcase."  In 2014, Owsley and Kaufman wrote Equity Holders Under Siege: Strategies and Tactics for Distressed Businesses, Beard Books LLC, 2014, targeting all constituencies of distressed companies — owners, creditors, buyers and professionals.
Owsley is consistently ranked in the top ten investment banker rankings, including number four ranking in The Deal Bankruptcy League Tables for 2012  His firm, Gordian Group, is regularly honored with industry awards including one of the Outstanding Investment Banking Firms of 2014 by Turnarounds & Workouts.
He is a frequent commentator in the media on distressed investment banking, conflicts of interest, and the economy. Owsley has been interviewed and quoted by general and business media outlets including ABC News, Bloomberg Businessweek, trade press Investment Dealers' Digest, Fox Business, The New York Times, Reuters, The Bankruptcy Strategist and TheStreet.com.
Assignments have included advising the Transport Workers Union of America in the American Airlines bankruptcy; the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers' International Union in connection with the Hostess Brands bankruptcy; Ben & Jerry’s; a bank defendant in the Enron litigation; Smithfield Foods in connection with the purchase of assets from Farmland Industries; the Federal Communications Commission in connection with the bankruptcies of Pocket Communications and Next Wave; the litigation trust associated with the Heilig-Meyers bankruptcy; the debtor in Integrated Electrical Services; a major creditor in the LTV Steel bankruptcy; the trustee in the Bernard Madoff matter; the Office of Thrift Supervision with respect to the restructurings of Cal Fed and GLENFED; the debtor in Spansion; Tracor in connection with its bankruptcy and subsequent transactions; the Board of Directors in United Rentals; a special committee of the Board of Directors in WestPoint Home; a special committee of the Board of Directors in XO Communications; the State of Vermont in connection with the restructuring of its electric utility industry; and a creditor group in Zale.
In January 2014 the industry organization, M&A Advisor, announced that Mr. Owsley's firm Gordian Group LLC won the 2013 Boutique Investment Bank of the Year award for the third time. It also awarded Gordian on behalf of their restructurings of Jobson Medical Holdings (Professional Services category) and Elyria Foundry (Industrial, Manufacturing & Distribution category).
- Co-author, Equity Holders under Siege: Strategies and Tactics for Distressed Businesses.(Frederick, Md.: Beard Books LLC, 2014)
- Co-author, Distressed Investment Banking: To the Abyss and Back.(Frederick, Md.: Beard Books LLC, 2005)
- Co-author, "The Role of the Investment Banker," in Bankruptcy Business Acquisitions (New York: Lex Med Publishing, 1998)
- Co-author, "Trading in the Distressed Market," in Investing in Bankruptcies and Turnarounds (New York: HarperCollins Publishers, 1991)
- Princeton University, The Two Hundreth and Thirtieth Commencement, The Seventh of June, Nineteen Hundred and Seventy-Seven
- Co-author, Distressed Investment Banking: To the Abyss and Back, Beard Books LLC, 2005.
- Kaufman, Peter S. & Owsley, Henry F., Distressed Investment Banking: To the Abyss and Back, Washington, D.C., Beard Books, 2005.
- Bankruptcy League Tables - Top Investment Banks and Bankers, The Deal, August 30, 2012 Issue.
- Turnarounds & Workouts Special Report, Outstanding Investment Banks 2014, Beard Group, July/August 2014 Issue.
- After the Midterms:Federal Reserve Pumps $600 Billion Into Economy. www.ABCnews.com, November 3, 2010 http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wall-street-awaits-federal-reserve-meeting-2010-election-results/story?id=12044648
- TARP: The Sequel. Bloomberg Business week. January 15, 2009. http://www.businessweek.com/investor/content/jan2009/pi20090115_722585.htm
- 'Chapter 11 Specialists Turning the Page' Volume 76, Number 43, page 18. November 19, 2010. Print.
- Stuyvesant Town auction may be a lonely event. www.foxbusiness.com, September 30, 2010 http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2010/09/30/analysis-stuyvesant-town-auction-lonely-event/#ixzz2Ja83wcZN
- First Bailout Formula Had it Right. January 24, 2009 http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/24/business/24nocera.html?ref=business&_r=0
- To Be Better, New Orleans, Think Smaller. September 25, 2005 http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D05E1DB1430F937A1575AC0A9639C8B63
- Tishman, BlackRock quit huge NYC housing complex. www.reuters.com Jan. 25, 2010 http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/01/25/tishman-stuyvesant-idUSN2517013520100125?feedType=RSS&feedName=everything&virtualBrandChannel=11563,
- 'Paradigm Shift : Observations on the Current Bankruptcy Cycle' Volume 27, Number 2. December 2009. Print.
- Pershing Loses Stuyvesant Town Appeal. September 28, 2010. www.thestreet.com http://www.thestreet.com/story/10873848/1/pershing-loses-stuyvesant-appeal.html
- Transport Workers Union Retains Gordian Group. www.TWU.org, January 19, 2012 http://www.twu.org/blog/blogarchive/tabid/330/vw/1/itemid/163/transport-workers-union-retains-gordian-group.aspx
- Winners Announced for the 8th Annual M&A Advisor Turnaround Awards. Retrieved 1-28-2014.
- The M&A Advisor: The 8th Annual M&A Advisor Turnaround Awards Winners. Retrieved 1-28-2014.