Hodges in 2007
June 1, 1993 |
Bethesda, Maryland, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, voice actor, singer|
Henry Hodges (born June 1, 1993) is an American actor, voice actor and singer. Beginning his acting career in regional theatre at the age of four, Hodges is best known for his musical theatre roles on Broadway; starring as "Chip" in Beauty and the Beast, as "Jeremy Potts" in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and as "Michael Banks" in Mary Poppins.
Hodges was born on June 1, 1993 in Bethesda, Maryland, to parents Jane and James Hodges. He has one sibling, an older sister named Charly (born in 1987). Hodges began his acting career at the age of four and, at the age of eight, he appeared as Tiny Tim in the Ford's Theatre production of A Christmas Carol in Washington, DC. He subsequently performed in numerous operas over two seasons at The Kennedy Center and, after appearing in his second season at Ford's Theater, he was invited to audition for Disney and was selected to play the part of Chip in the touring production of Beauty and the Beast.
Touring the United States for seven months as "Chip", the son of "Mrs. Potts" in the national tour of Beauty and the Beast, Hodges was invited to play the same part on Broadway in New York City. In 2005 he won the role of "Jeremy Potts" in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Hodges originated the part for Broadway and was featured prominently in the press and in advertising. Hodges performance garnered the attention of Cameron Mackintosh and Thomas Schumacher and in 2006, he was cast as an original "Michael Banks" in the successful Broadway production of Mary Poppins playing the part for over a year and a half.
In 2007, Thomas Schumacher and Jeff Kurti featured Hodges in their interactive book published by Disney entitled, "How Does the Show Go On". In 2008 he played the part of MacDuff son and Fleance in the Broadway production of Shakespeare's Macbeth starring Patrick Stewart. Hodges was then cast as an Understudy in the Original Broadway Cast of Jason Robert Brown's Broadway musical 13. Hodge's was an understudy for the roles of Richie, Archie, Simon, and Evan. After a run in the musical 13, he was cast as Jem in To Kill a Mockingbird with the Hartford Stage in Connecticut. In 2009 Hartford Stage cast him as Horace Robedaux at age 14 in The Orphans' Home Cycle by Horton Foote, which subsequently transferred to the Signature Theatre, New York.
Hodges has voiced numerous commercials. In 2008, he was featured in the Disney family film, Snow Buddies where he voiced the role of the mischievous golden retriever puppy, "Mud Bud", and reprised his role as "Mud Bud" in the follow-up film Space Buddies that same year. In 2010, Hodges appeared as "Henry" in the romantic comedy feature film See You in September. Hodges is currently writing the book "How to Act Like a Kid", which is scheduled to be published by Disney in April 2013 - This is a 'How to' book for every kid and parent who wants to know how to make it in the business.
Hodges' father is British and his paternal Grandfather was a child actor performing in the 1930s at Maidstone, Kent, England. Hodges is actively involved in Broadway Kids Care which brings together young actors from current and past Broadway shows to do community service work. He is also featured on the CD Carols for a Cure as a soloist and has appeared at several Equity Fights Aids benefits and has spoken and performed at numerous other charity events.
- 2008 Santa Buddies: The Legend of Santa Paws'.....Howard
- 2008 Snow Buddies.....Mudbud
- 2008 Space Buddies.....Mudbud
- 2010 See You in September.....Henry
- 2004–2005 Beauty and the Beast (Replacement).....Chip
- 2005 Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Original Cast).....Jeremy Potts
- 2006–2007 Mary Poppins (Original Cast).....Michael Banks
- 2008 Macbeth (Original Cast).....MacDuff's son and Fleance
- 2008–2009 13 (Original Cast).....Understudy: Richie, Archie, Simon, Evan
- 2001 A Christmas Carol - Ford's Theater, Washington DC.....Tiny Tim
- 2009 To Kill a Mockingbird - Hartford Stage.....Jem
- 2009 The Orphans' Home Cycle - Hartford Stage (Original Cast).....Horace Robedaux
- 2012 The Little Mermaid- Sacramento Music Circus (Original Cast) ....Flounder
|Year||Award||Category||Role||Film / Show||Result||Ref.|
|2010||Drama Desk Award||Special Award
Saluting "the breadth of vision, which inspired the exceptional direction, performances, sets, lighting, costumes, music and sound that made The Orphans' Home Cycle the theatrical event of the season."
(shared with cast, creative team and producers)
|The Orphans' Home Cycle||Honored|||
- "Meet Henry Hodges". The Washington Post. May 26, 2003.
- Let the Holiday Shows Begin; Young Stars Shine in A Christmas Carol and The Nutcracker; [FINAL Edition] The Washington Post. Washington, D.C.: Dec 12, 2001. pg. C.16
- Playbill On-Line Tue Apr 5, 4:07 PM ET by Andrew Gans
- "Playbill News: Broadway's Chitty to Offer Three Evenings at Seven". Playbill.com. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "Disney on Broadway – Books – How Does the Show Go On?". Theater.disney.go.com. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "Snow Buddies – The Official Disney Snow Buddies Movie and DVD Website". Adisney.go.com. 2009-02-05. Archived from the original on 2009-02-05. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "Signature Theatre - Website". Signature Theatre. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "2009-2010 55th Drama Desk Awards". DramaDesk.com. Archived from the original on 2010-12-15. Retrieved June 13, 2011.
- Henry Hodges official website
- Henry Hodges at the Internet Broadway Database
- Henry Hodges at the Internet Movie Database
- Broadway Kids Care