Henry Owens (left-handed pitcher)
Boston Red Sox
July 21, 1992 |
Huntington Beach, California
Henry Owens (born July 21, 1992) is an American professional baseball pitcher in the Boston Red Sox Minor League system. Listed at 6' 6", 190 lb., he bats and throws left handed. He is the 40th best prospect by Baseball America.
Entering 2013, Owens was ranked as the eighth best prospect in the Red Sox organization and ranked 77th in the MLB.com Top 100 Prospects list. He features a 91-93 mph fastball and a 77-80 mph changeup which combines with his low-70s curveball.
He earned the Cal-Hi Sports Mr. Baseball State Player of the Year Award in 2011, after posting a 12-1 record with a 1.15 earned run average and three saves, while striking out 140 batters in 91⅔ innings of work. He also was named a 2011 Louisville Slugger High School All-American and earned 2011 Sunset League Pitcher of the Year honors for the second consecutive year.
Owens made his professional debut in 2012 with the low Class A Greenville Drive, sporting a 12-5 record and a 4.87 ERA in 23 games, including 130 strikeouts and 47 walks in 101⅔ innings. In addition, he finished fourth in the South Atlantic League for the most strikeouts, while tying for fourth in wins.
In 2013 Owens was promoted to the advanced Class A Salem Red Sox. On July 17, he struck out a season-high tying 10 in six inning, while combining with Matty Ott (two) and Matt Price (one) to deliver the first no-hitter in franchise history in a 6–0 win over the Frederick Keys. Overall, he posted an 8-5 record and a 2.92 ERA over 20 starts for Salem, including a hitless streak of 19⅓ innings, gaining a promotion to the Double A Portland Sea Dogs on July 31.
Upon promotion to Portland, Owens went 3-1 with a 1.78 ERA, striking out 46 in just 30⅓ innings over six starts. He was a Carolina League All-Star, as well as SoxProspects.com's 2013 Pitcher of the Year. Additionally, he made the Baseball America Minor League All-Star Team.
Owens started the 2014 season by pitching a rain-shortened six inning no-hitter. Making 20 starts in Portland, Owens compiled a record of 14-4 with 3 complete games. He pitched 121 innings, struck out 126 batters with an earned run average of 2.60. He was promoted to Pawtucket on August 2, 2014.
- "MiLB.com – Henry Owens profile".
- "MLB.com – 2013 Top 100 Prospects list".
- Raymond, Jonathan. "– Owens leads Salem to no-hitter". Milb.com. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- "Sox-Prospects.com – Henry Owens page".
- Red Sox prospect Henry Owens tosses six-inning no-hitter
- McDonald, Joe (August 2, 2014). "Owens promoted to Triple-A". ESPN. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference (Minors) MiLB.com, or Sox-Prospects.com
- Buckley: Henry Owens may be Sox' best young arm
- Henry Owens gets chance to show his stuff for Red Sox
- Teammate on Henry Owens: "I think he's the next Kershaw"