Henry Reynolds-Moreton, 3rd Earl of Ducie
|The Right Honourable
The Earl of Ducie
GCVO, PC, FRS, JP
|Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard|
28 June 1859 – 26 June 1868
|Prime Minister||The Viscount Palmerston
The Earl Russell
|Preceded by||The Lord de Ros|
|Succeeded by||The Earl Cadogan|
|Born||25 June 1827|
|Died||28 October 1921|
|Political party||Liberal Party|
|Spouse(s)||Julia Langston (d. 1895)|
Henry John Reynolds-Moreton, 3rd Earl of Ducie GCVO, PC, FRS, JP (25 June 1827 – 28 October 1921), styled Lord Moreton between 1840 and 1853, was a British courtier and Liberal Party politician. He notably served as Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard from 1859 to 1866. A member of the House of Lords for 68 years, he was Father of the House of Lords between 1913 and his death in 1921.
Background and education
In 1852, Moreton entered Parliament as Member of Parliament (MP) for Stroud. Already the following year he succeeded his father in the earldom and entered the House of Lords. In 1859 he was admitted to the Privy Council and appointed Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard under Lord Palmerston, a post he held until the government fell in 1866, the last year under the premiership of Lord Russell. In 1913 he became Father of the House of Lords as the longest-serving member of that body.
Apart from his political career Lord Ducie was Lord Lieutenant of Gloucestershire between 1857 and 1911 and Lord Warden of the Stannaries between 1888 and 1908. In 1906 he was made a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order.
Lord Ducie married his first cousin, Julia Langston, daughter of James Langston, MP, on 24 May 1849. They had two children:
- Henry Haughton Reynolds-Moreton, Lord Moreton (1857–1920), politician.
- Lady Constance Emily Reynolds-Moreton (died 1920), married George Shaw-Lefevre, 1st Baron Eversley.
The Countess of Ducie died in February 1895. Lord Ducie remained a widower until his death in October 1921, aged 94. As his only son had predeceased him, Lord Ducie's titles passed to his younger brother, Berkeley Moreton, 4th Earl of Ducie.
- thepeerage.com Henry John Reynolds-Moreton, 3rd Earl of Ducie
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 5)[self-published source][better source needed]
- The London Gazette: . 8 July 1859.
- The London Gazette: . 1 July 1859.
- The London Gazette: . 13 July 1866.
- The London Gazette: . 15 May 1906.
- Ducie, Henry John Moreton Earl of (1800), Crocodile shooting, [London s.n, retrieved 3 October 2013
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Henry Reynolds-Moreton, 3rd Earl of Ducie
- Moreton, Earl of Ducie, Henry John. "Crocodile Shooting". Open Library. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
George Julius Poulett Scrope
|Member of Parliament for Stroud
1852 – 1853
With: George Julius Poulett Scrope
George Julius Poulett Scrope
The Lord de Ros
|Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard
The Earl Cadogan
The Earl FitzHardinge
|Lord Lieutenant of Gloucestershire
The Earl Beauchamp
The Earl Nelson
|Father of the House of Lords
The Earl of Coventry
The Viscount Portman
|Lord Warden of the Stannaries
The Lord Balfour of Burleigh
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|Earl of Ducie