Henry Smith (British politician)
|Member of Parliament
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Laura Moffatt|
|Leader of West Sussex County Council|
2003 – 28 May 2010
|Preceded by||Harold Hall|
|Succeeded by||Louise Goldsmith|
|West Sussex County Councillor for Maidenbower|
14 May 1969 |
Epsom, Surrey, England
|Alma mater||University College London|
|Occupation||Member of Parliament|
|Committees||European Scrutiny Select Committee|
Henry Edward Millar Smith (born 14 May 1969) is a British Conservative Party politician who was Leader of West Sussex County Council from 2003 to 2010. He is the Member of Parliament (MP) for Crawley, having been elected in the 2010 general election.
Smith has previously worked in the National Health Service. He was elected as a West Sussex County Councillor in 1997, where he served full time, with a property investment business based in Crawley in West Sussex. He became Leader of the Council in 2003 at the age of 34, becoming the youngest county council leader in the country. He was a Crawley Borough Councillor from 2002 to 2004. In 2001 and 2005 he stood against Laura Moffatt, the second time achieving the highest national swing from Labour to the Conservatives, reducing the majority to 37, the smallest in the country. 
Smith serves on the European Scrutiny Committee and is Vice-Chair of the Trans Atlantic & International Security APPG.
Smith was the Chairman of the South East Counties Leaders Group (latterly South East Strategic Leaders) from 2007 to 2010, and has previously served as a Governor at The Oaks, The Brook, and Oriel High schools in Crawley. He co-authored the 2005 publication Direct Democracy. He has also defended his post election efforts to get a new hospital in the Pease Pottage area which he described as his top priority. He was elected to Parliament at the 2010 general election. Following his election as Crawley MP he resigned as a West Sussex County Councillor on 1 September 2010. 
Henry Smith is married to Jennifer, and they have a daughter and a son.
On 6 September 2013, while the St. Petersburg G20 Summit was ongoing, Smith made a 'tweet' on his personal Twitter page calling the Russian President Vladimir Putin a tosser, following reports of a Russian official calling Britain small and unimportant. The tweet was widely reported in the British media and has caused some controversy.
- "Henry Smith MP". BBC Democracy Live. BBC. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- BBC Election 2010 "Crawley"
- MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT IN MAIDENBOWER, CRAWLEY, WEST SUSSEX. Publisher: TheArgus.co.uk Retrieved: 11 April 2014.
- Henry Smith "About Henry"
- Chris Ballinger (7 February 2014). "MP Henry Smith defends his efforts to get Crawley a new hospital". Crawleynews.co.uk. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- henrysmith.info "Henry Smith, Member of Parliament for Crawley"
- Henry Smith MP official constituency website
- Henry Smith MP on Facebook
- Henry Smith MP Conservative Party profile
- Crawley Conservatives
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
- Campaign For Pease Pottage Hospital
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Crawley