||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010)|
Henry Steiner is an Austrian graphic designer, best known for his corporate identity designs. He has created designs for some of the most identifiable brands, such as IBM, Hyatt Regency, Hilton Hotels, Dow Jones, HSBC, Standard Chartered, Unilever, and was commissioned to design the city's bank notes by the Hong Kong government in 1975. Steiner was educated at the Sorbonne and at Yale. In 1964, he founded his own consultancy firm, Steiner&Co, in Hong Kong. Henry Steiner pioneered the expression of identity through branding, particularly in Asia where his skill for incorporating Eastern cultural symbols into Western design has garnered international acclaim . Steiner was included in Icograda’s list of the Masters of the 20th Century in 2002, and was named a World Master by Idea magazine.
The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation is world recognized brand for banking, finance, brokerage, and insurance. In 1984, Henry Steiner developed a corporate identity for the bank based on its St.Andrew’s cross flag.
Hong Kong Bank Notes
Henry Steiner designs banknotes for the Standard Chartered Bank since 1975. In 2003, Henry Steiner updated the designs incorporating the latest anti-counterfeiting technology. The notes appear in five denominations and showcase a hierarchy of aquatic, amphibious, terrestrial, and celestial creatures. The reverse features Hong Kong’s dynamic harbor from various time periods.
- President of Alliance Graphique Internationale
- Fellow of the Chartered Society of Designers
- Fellow of the Hong Kong Designers Association
- Honorary member of Design Austria
- Member of the American Institute of Graphic Arts
- Member of the New York Art Directors Club
- Awarded an honorary Doctorate by Hong Kong Baptist University
- Awarded the Hong Kong Print Outstanding Achievement Award
- Awarded the Asia-Europe Foundation Logo Award
- Awarded the Golden Decoration of Honor of the Republic of Austria for design achievement and service to the Austrian community
- Honorary professor at the University of Hong Kong’s School of Architecture
- Honorary professor at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University’s School of Design
- Named Hong Kong Designer of the Year
- Named a World Master by Japan’s Idea magazine
- Listed a Masters of the 20th Century by Icograda
- Cited as one of the 100 most important people affecting Hong Kong's development since 1841 by Next magazine
- Outstanding Entries, Fourth Asian Advertising Congress, Hong Kong (1964)
- Award of Excellence, Typomundus 20 (1966)
- Excellence, The Mead Library of Ideas, Annual Report Shows, USA (1969 to 1985)
- Creative Awards, Asian Advertising Congress (1968 to 1974)
- Governor's Award for Hong Kong Design (1970)
- First Prize, Seventh Asian Advertising Congress, New Delhi (1970)
- Bronze Medal, Biennale des Arts Graphique, Brno, Czechoslovakia (1972)
- Award, International Poster Biennale, Warsaw (1972, 1976)
- Outstanding Packaging Award, Hong Kong Packaging Council (1973)
- First Prize, Festival of Hong Kong Stamp Exhibition (1973)
- Asiastar Packaging Award, The Asian Packaging Federation (1974)
- First Prize, Financial Advertising, The Times, London (1974)
- Award of Excellence, Communication Arts, USA (1974 to 1992)
- Gold, Bronze, Silver Awards, Hongkong Designers Association (1975 to 1999)
- Design Excellence, Print Casebooks (1975 to 1978)
- The One Show Merit Award, The Art Directors Club, New York (1976)
- Merit Award, Hong Kong Packaging Council (1976)
- Merit Awards, The New York Art Directors Club (1976, 1990)
- Awards, Asian Graphic Design Biennale, Tehran (1978)
- Awards of Excellence, Society of Typographic Arts USA (1978 to 1980)
- Typographic Excellence, Type Directors Club, New York (1979 to 1988)
- Silver Award,Association of Accredited Advertising Agents, Hong Kong (1983, 1984)
- Bronze Medal, Book Art Biennale, Brno, Czechoslovakia (1984)
- Gold Award, TTF Paper Creative Award, Hong Kong (1988)
- Excellence, The Best of International Self-Promotion, Australia (1989)
- Designer of the Year, Hong Kong Artists' Guild (1990)
- Silver Award, Annual Report, Hong Kong Print Awards (1990)
- Sponsor's Award, The 33rd All-Japan Poster Exhibition (1991)
- Awards of Excellence, The Best of International Self-Promotion, USA (1993)
- 'Best in Business Publication' Award, Chartered Society of Hong Kong (1995)
- Premier Award, std International TypoGraphic Awards, England (1998)
- Gold Award, Hong Kong Designers Associations (2000)
- Golden Decoration of Honor of the Republic of Austria (2006)
- Steiner, Henry; Haas, Ken (October 1994). Cross-Cultural Design: Communicating in the Global Marketplace. Van Nostrand Reinhold. ISBN 0-442-00407-9.
- Steiner, Henry (1999). Designer’s Life: Henry Steiner. Beijing, China: Wang Xu - China Youth Press.
- "Midas touch turns names into gold". China Daily. 13 September 2004. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- Schmitt, Bernd H; Simonson, Alex; Simonini, Lúcia (2002). A estética do marketing como criar e administrar sua marca, imagem e identidade (in Portuguese). p. 59. ISBN 85-213-1018-8.
- Schmitt, Bernd H; Simonson, Alex (1997). Marketing Aesthetics: The Strategic Management of Brands, Identity and Image. p. 42. ISBN 0-684-82655-0.
- "Henry Steiner". AIGA. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- Steiner, Henry. "Steiner&Co". Corporate Graphic Arts. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- Liu, Alfred; Wong, Adele (September 9, 2009). "New $150 notes are real bang for the buck". The Standard. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- Steiner, Henry. "Steiner's Portfolio". China Branding. Retrieved 10 November 2011.