Henry Sutton (inventor)
3 September 1855|
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
|Died||28 July 1912
Malvern, Victoria, Australia
Henry Sutton (1855-1912) born in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia was an inventor credited with contributions to many forefront technologies of the day. Sutton studied and then lectured at the Ballarat School of Mines (SMB).
By 1899 he had built and driven the Sutton Autocar, one of the first motor cars in Australia. In 1903 Sutton was a founding member of the Automobile Club of Victoria. He died in 1912 at the age of 56. 
Some of his inventions include various telephones, lightbulbs, a dynamo, a prototype Ornithopter/helicopter, radio transmitters/receivers, the world’s first portable wireless radio, a colour-printing process, battery, several vacuum pumps and telephane, an early design for a television.
- Victorian BDM index
- Gervasoni, Clare. "Henry SUTTON". Federation University Australia Honour Roll.
- Withers,William Bramwell (1887). The History of Ballarat, from the First Pastoral Settlement to the Present Time (2 ed.). Ballarat: F.W. Niven And Co.
- Beggs Sunter, Anne. "Henry Sutton the Eureka man". Australian Heritage.
- McCallum, Austin. "Henry Sutton". Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University.
- "WIRELESS EXPERIMENTS. A MELBOURNE INVENTOR. A SENSITIVE DETECTOR.". The Mercury (Hobart, Tas). 7 March 1912.
- Watt, Jarrod (12 Feb 2012). "Australian's forgotten radio pioneer: the amazing Henry Sutton". ABC radio.
- Sutton, H. "On a New Form of Secondary Cell for Electrical Storage". Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria 1882.
- Sutton, H. "Description Of Vacuum Apparatus". Review 13 Dec 1881.
- Sutton, H. "1885 Telephane system diagrams". Telegraphic Journal and Electrical Review 7 Nov 1890.
- Henry Sutton bio – IEEE Global History Network.
- Henry Sutton: A Forgotten Genius Storify by David Whatson
- Photography Patent 1887 Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute
- Improvements in electric circuits for telephonic purposes Patent 1886
- Henry Sutton - inventor of television ABC Radio National - The Science Show, 22 Dec 2012
- The legacy of Henry Sutton by Mike Smyth, Electronics Online
|This Australian biography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|