Henry XIII, Duke of Bavaria
In 1254, he succeeded his father together with his brother Louis II in Bavaria and the Palatinate. The brothers divided their land in 1255 against the law. Henry received Lower Bavaria and Louis Upper Bavaria and the Palatinate. It was the first of many divisions of the duchy. Henry resided in Landshut and, in 1255, the work for the main castle of Burghausen Castle was begun.
As the division of the duchy was against the law, it caused anger of the Bishops in Bavaria who allied with Ottokar II of Bohemia in 1257. In August 1257, Ottokar invaded Bavaria, but Henry and Louis managed to repulse the attack. It was one of the rare concerted and harmonious actions of both brothers who often argued. Henry was also later several times at war against the Archbishopric of Salzburg and the Bishop of Passau. During the conflict of King Rudolph I of Germany with Ottokar II, Duke Henry repeatedly changed allegiance.
Marriage and children
- Agnes of Wittelsbach (January 1254 – 20 October 1315). Joined the Cistercian Monastery at Seligenthal as a nun.
- Agnes of Wittelsbach (17 July 1255 – 10 May 1260). She shared her name with her older sister.
- Agnes of Wittelsbach (29 October 1256 – 16 November 1260). She shared her name with her two older sisters.
- Elizabeth of Wittelsbach (23 April 1258 – 8 August 1314). Joined the Cistercian Monastery at Seligenthal as a nun.
- Otto III, Duke of Bavaria (11 February 1261 – 9 November 1312).
- Henry of Wittelsbach (23 February 1262 – 16 September 1280).
- Sophie of Wittelsbach (c. 1264 – 4 February 1282). Married Poppo VIII, Count of Henneberg.
- Catherine of Wittelsbach (9 June 1267 – 9 January 1310). Married Friedrich Tuta, Margrave of Meissen.
- Louis III, Duke of Bavaria (9 October 1269 – 9 October 1296).
- Stephen I, Duke of Bavaria (14 March 1271 – 10 December 1310).
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (August 2012)|
|Ancestors of Henry XIII, Duke of Bavaria|
- Cawley, Charles, His listing along with his wife . The project "involves extracting and analysing detailed information from primary sources, including contemporary chronicles, cartularies, necrologies and testaments.", Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, retrieved August 2012
- Marek, Miroslav. "A listing of descendants of Otto I, Count of Scheyern, including Henry XIII and his children". Genealogy.EU.
Henry XIII, Duke of BavariaBorn: 19 November 1235 Died: 3 February 1290
|Duke of Lower Bavaria