Henry de Percy, 2nd Baron Percy
Henry de Percy, 9th Baron Percy and 2nd Baron Percy of Alnwick (1299–1352) was the son of Henry de Percy, 1st Baron Percy of Alnwick, and Eleanor Fitzalan, daughter of Richard FitzAlan, 8th Earl of Arundel.
Henry was sixteen when his father died, so the Barony was placed in the custody of John de Felton.
In 1316 he was granted the lands of Patrick IV, Earl of March, in Northumberland, by King Edward II of England. In 1322, was made governor of Pickering Castle and of the town and castle of Scarborough and was later knighted at York. Henry joined with other barons to remove the Despensers, who were favorites of Edward II.
Following a disastrous war with the Scots, Henry was empowered along with William Zouche to negotiate the Treaty of Edinburgh–Northampton. This was an unpopular treaty and peace between England and Scotland lasted only five years.
He was appointed to Edward III's Council in 1327 and was given the manor and castle of Skipton. Was granted, by Edward III, the castle and barony of Warkworth in 1328. He was at the siege of Dunbar and the Battle of Halidon Hill and was subsequently appointed constable of Berwick-upon-Tweed. In 1346, Henry commanded the right wing of the English, at the Battle of Neville's Cross.
- Henry, b.1320, succeeded his father as 3rd Baron Percy of Alnwick
- Thomas Percy, Bishop of Norwich
- Maud Percy, married John Neville, 3rd Baron Neville de Raby
- Eleanor Percy, married John Fitzwalter, 2nd Baron Fitzwalter (c.1315 – 18 October 1361)
- Isabel Percy, married Sir William de Aton, 2nd Lord Aton, and had a daughter, Katherine Aton. Katherine Aton's son, William Eure, married Maud FitzHugh, daughter of Henry FitzHugh, 3rd Baron FitzHugh.
In 1329, he founded a chantry, to celebrate divine service for his soul.
- Tate, George, The History of the Borough, Castle, and Barony of Alnwick, Vol.1, (Henry Hunter Blair, 1866), 118.
- Tate, 118.
- Tate, 119.
- Tate, 121.
- Lanercost, p282
- Tate, 124.
- Tate, 130.
- Richardson II 2011, p. 210.
- Douglas Richardson, , Kimball G. Everingham,. Magna Carta ancestry : a study in colonial and medieval families, Volume II (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City, UT.: Douglas Richardson. p. pgs. 125–126. ISBN 9781449966386.
- Tate, 128.
- Brenan, Gerald, A History of the House of Percy IIvols. London 1902.
- Lanercost Chronicle, trans. & ed. Maxwell, Sir Herbert. Glasgow 1913.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, ed. Kimball G. Everingham II (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 1449966381
- Tate, George, The History of the Borough, Castle, and Barony of Alnwick, Vol.1, Henry Hunter Blair, 1866.