Henryk Arctowski Polish Antarctic Station
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
|Henryk Arctowski Polish Antarctic Station
Polska Stacja Antarktyczna im. Henryka Arctowskiego
|Established||26 February 1977|
|Time zone||- (UTC+1)|
Named for Henryk Arctowski (1871-1958), who as meteorologist had accompanied the Belgian explorer Baron Adrien de Gerlache on the "Belgica" expedition, 1897-1899. This was the first expedition to overwinter in Antarctica. He proposed the original notion of a wind chill factor, arguing that wind could be as damaging to human flesh as cold in harsh climates.
The station was established on 26 February 1977. It is managed by the Polish Academy of Sciences, and its main research areas include marine biology, oceanography, geology, geomorphology, glaciology, meteorology, climatology, seismology, magnetism and ecology.
Because it is readily accessible, and the Polish staffers are friendly, it is one of the most-visited scientific stations in Antarctica. A greenhouse provides fresh vegetables. The beaches near the station have numerous whale bones, relics of the time when the site was used to process whales killed nearby.
The station is near colonies of three different types of pygoscelic penguins (Adelies, Chinstraps, and Gentoos), and has been designated a site of Special Scientific Interest (SSI) as provided by the Antarctic Treaty.
- Society Expeditions, "Expedition Log, EX 1929", Seattle: Society Expeditions, 1990, pp. 26-27
- Antarctica. Sydney: Reader's Digest, 1985, pp. 130–133, 300.
- Child, Jack. Antarctica and South American Geopolitics: Frozen Lebensraum. New York: Praeger Publishers, 1988, p. 12.
- Lonely Planet, Antarctica: a Lonely Planet Travel Survival Kit, Oakland, CA: Lonely Planet Publications, 1996, p. 273.
- Stewart, Andrew, Antarctica: An Encyclopedia. London: McFarland & Company, 1990 (2 volumes, p. 37.
- U.S. National Science Foundation, Geographic Names of the Antarctic, Fred G. Alberts, ed. Washington: NSF, 1980.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Henryk Arctowski Polish Antarctic Station.|
- (Polish) Official webpage
- Official webpage in English
- COMNAP Antarctic Facilities
- COMNAP Antarctic Facilities Map