C. L. Hubbs, 1939
Hepsetus is a genus of African fishes, the African pikes, in the characin order, Characiformes. It is the sole genus in the family Hepsetidae. It was long believed that only a single widespread species existed, H. odoe, but studies in 2011-2013 have shown that this species is restricted to Upper Guinea in West Africa. The well-known species of southern Africa, including Kafue River, is Hepsetus cuvieri.
- Hepsetus cuvieri (F. L. Castelnau, 1861) – Angola, Botswana, Zambia and DR Congo. Not listed by FishBase (possibly in error, as they refer to it in accounts of relatives), but its validity has been confirmed by recent studies and it is recognized by Catalog of Fishes.
- Hepsetus kingsleyae Vreven, Decru & Snoeks, 2013 – Ogooué Basin, Gabon.
- Hepsetus lineata (Pellegrin, 1926) – Cameroon to Gabon.
- Hepsetus odoe (Bloch, 1794) – Gambia to the Ivory Coast.
- Hepsetus occidentalis Decru, Snoeks & Vreven, 2013 – Ivory Coast to Cameroon. Briefly referred to as H. akawo, but this is a synonym of H. odoe.
- Zengeya, T. A., Decru, E. and Vreven, E. (2011). Revalidation of Hepsetus cuvieri (Castelnau, 1861) (Characiformes: Hepsetidae) from the Quanza, Zambezi and southern part of the Congo ichthyofauna provinces. Journal of Natural History 45 (nos. 27-28): 1723-1744.
- Decru, E., Vreven, E., and Snoeksa, J. (2011). A revision of the West African Hepsetus (Characiformes: Hepsetidae) with a description of Hepsetus akawo sp. nov. and a redescription of Hepsetus odoe (Bloch, 1794). Journal of Natural History, 46 (1-2):
- Decru, E., Vreven, E. & Snoeks, J. (2013): A revision of the Lower Guinean Hepsetus species (Characiformes; Hepsetidae) with the description of Hepsetus kingsleyae sp. nov. Journal of Fish Biology, 82: 1351–1375.
- Decru, E., Snoeks, J. & Vreven, E. (2013): The true identity of the holotype of Hepsetus odoe and the names of the two West African species of Hepsetus (Teleostei: Hepsetidae). Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters, 24 (2): 187-192.
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2013). Species of Hepsetus in FishBase. October 2013 version.
- Eschmeyer, W. N. (ed). Family Hepsetidae., Catalog of Fishes. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2014). "Hepsetus kingsleyae" in FishBase. May 2014 version.
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2014). "Hepsetus lineata" in FishBase. May 2014 version.
|This Characiformes-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|