|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly
from the 7th Legislative District
January 13, 1998
Serving with Troy Singleton
January 30, 1967 |
Burlington, New Jersey
|Alma mater||B.A. Princeton University (Politics)
M.D. Jefferson Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
J.D. Rutgers School of Law—Newark
|Website||Legislative web page|
He served as the Assembly's Deputy Speaker from 2002 to 2005. Conaway serves on the Health and Senior Services Committee (as Chair), the State Government Committee (as Vice-Chair) and the Appropriations Committee.
Conaway served in the United States Air Force Medical Corps from 1992-1996, reaching the rank of Captain. He served at McGuire Air Force Base in Burlington County as general medical officer and as assistant director of the primary care clinic.
Conaway graduated with a B.A. from Princeton University in Politics, received an M.D. degree from Jefferson Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University and was awarded a J.D. from Rutgers School of Law—Newark. He is the only member of the legislature to hold both a medical degree and law degree.
Calling the proposed bill a "recipe for disaster" that could result in the spread of disease, Conaway rejected legislation proposed by Assemblywoman Charlotte Vandervalk that would give parents the right to exclude their children from mandatory vaccinations, after hearings held in March 2011 by the Assembly Health and Senior Services Committee.
Each of the 40 districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 7th District for the 2014-2015 Legislative Session are:
- Assemblyman Conaway's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed November 18, 2013.
- Herb Conaway, M.D. profile, Denison for State Senate / Conaway & Conners for State Assembly. Accessed August 8, 2007.
- Assembly Member Herbert C. 'Herb' Conaway Jr., Project Vote Smart. Accessed August 8, 2007.
- Mansnerus, Laura. "ON POLITICS; Clueless in New Jersey, Or Refreshingly Out of Touch?", The New York Times, November 7, 2004. Accessed July 23, 2009.
- Friedman, Matt. "N.J. Assemblyman rejects parents' plea for more say on kids' vaccinations", The Star-Ledger, March 8, 2011. Accessed march 17, 2011.
- Legislative Roster 2014-2015 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 22, 2014.
- Assemblyman Conaway's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms
- Assemblyman Herb Conaway website
- Assembly Member Herbert C. 'Herb' Conaway Jr., Project Vote Smart
- New Jersey Voter Information Website 2003