Geranium robertianum, (syn. Robertiella robertiana) commonly known as Herb Robert, Red Robin, Death come quickly, Storksbill, Dove's Foot, Crow's Foot, or (in North America) Robert Geranium, is a common species of cranesbill in Europe, Asia, North America, and North Africa.
Geranium robertianum can grow at altitudes of up to 1,500 metres (4,921 ft). It grows as an annual or biennial plant, producing small, pink, five-petalled flowers (about 1 cm in diameter) from April until the autumn. The leaves are fern-like, and the stems often reddish; the leaves too turn red at the end of the flowering season. The plant has little root structure.
In Great Britain is commonly found in hedgerows. It has been introduced into other temperate parts of the world, probably through its use as an ornamental plant, such as in the San Francisco Bay Area in California. In the state of Washington, it is known as Stinky Bob and classified as a noxious weed.(WSNWCB 2005, p. 8)(WSNWCB 2007)
In traditional herbalism, Herb Robert was used as a remedy for toothache and nosebleeds. Freshly picked leaves have an odor resembling burning tires when crushed, and if they are rubbed on the body the smell is said to repel mosquitoes. The active ingredients are tannins, a bitter compound called geraniin, and essential oils. It was carried to attract good luck, and due to its analogical association with storks, to enhance fertility.
- Foster, Steven (2006). Desk Reference To Nature's Medicine. Washington, DC: National Geographic Society. pp. 210–11. ISBN 10: 0-7922-3666-1 Check
- Blanchan, Neltje (2005), Wild Flowers Worth Knowing, Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation
- Isabell Shipard (2003), How can I use HERBS in my daily life?
- Peter Loewer (1991), The Wild Gardener
- WSNWCB (2005), Selected Noxious Weeds of Washington State, Washington State Noxious Weed Control Board
- WSNWCB (2007-03-31), "Herb Robert (Geranium robertianum)", Written Findings of the State Noxious Weed Control Board - Class B - B-designate Weed (State of Washington)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Geranium robertianum - Herb Robert.|
- Images at Bioimages (UK)
- Species treatment from the Jepson Manual
- Entry in the Plants for a Future database
- USDA plants Profile: Geranium robertianum
- "Geranium robertianum". Integrated Taxonomic Information System.
|This Medicinal plants-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This rosid article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|