Herb Zarrow (November 4, 1925 – May 11, 2008) was an American magician influential in the profession for his inventions of unique sleight of hand and card tricks. His skills were held in the highest regard in professional magicians' circles.
Born in Paterson, New Jersey, Herb Zarrow became interested in magic through magic sets and magic books. Invented the Zarrow Shuffle (c. 1940), and for many magicians, that's all they know about this creative magician. He also invented: Herb Zarrow's Switch Change, Herb Zarrow's Trapeze, Herb Zarrow Retention Pass, Zarrow Block Addition, Starfish Copper/Silver, Matched Revolvers, Universal Count Grip.
Zarrow's available biographical information is limited at best; a literature search does not reveal a lengthy biography of the man. However, he does appear in a DVD series about his card magic, in the magic literature, including David Ben's book Zarrow: A Lifetime of Magic.
Zarrow appeared on the cover of April, 2001 issue of The Linking Ring after being honored at the 2001 annual Fechter's Finger flicking Frolic convention of close up magicians for a lifetime of contributions and achievements. The The Linking Ring article contains some biographical information. An auction of Zarrow's collection, including his extensive library and associated ephemera, was conducted by Potter & Potter Auctions on October 23, 2010.
Honors and awards
"Over the years he has received many honors:"
- Member Of The Inner Magic Circle,
- 1998 Louie Award
- Honorary Life Member of the Society of American Magicians
- Cover of M-U-M
- Academy of Magical Arts: Creative Fellowship Award
- The Magic Castle: Honorary Life Member
- 2001 Guest Of Honor at Fechter's Finger flicking Frolic
- Cover of The Linking Ring
- Yedid, Meir (2002). "Herb Zarrow: Shuffling Through A Magical Life". Magic Times. Retrieved 2008-01-09. "reprinted, ... from the April, 2001 issue of The Linking Ring"
- "Zarrow, Herb". Magic Nook. 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-08.
- "Zarrow Shuffle". YouTube. Retrieved 2008-01-07. "Herb Zarrow demonstrates his shuffle."
- Zarrow, Herb. "Herb Zarrow on the Zarrow Shuffle (DVD)". Meir Yedid Magic. Retrieved 2010-01-22.
- Britland, David; Gazzo (2004) . Phantoms of the Card Table: Confessions of a Card Sharp (1st ed.). New York: Four Walls Eight Windows. pp. 108–109. ISBN 978-1-56858-299-3. OCLC 54976795.
- Johnson, Karl (2005). The Magician and the Cardsharp. p. 322.Johnson interviewed Zarrow in 2000 and 2005.
- Yedid, Meir (1998-08-02). "Herb Zarrow: Louie Award". MagicTimes (MagicTimes) 9 (247): 1. Retrieved 2008-01-09. "Herb Zarrow will be receiving the 1998 "Louie Award.""
- "M-U-M Magazine". Society of American Magicians. Retrieved 2008-01-09.
- "Cover page". The Linking Ring (The International Brotherhood of Magicians) 81 (4): 1. April 2001.