|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (August 2014)|
4 August 1913|
|Died||4 September 1966
|Years of service||1931–45|
4th Fallschirmjäger regiment
|Commands held||1st Battalion, 4th Fallschirmjäger regiment|
Herbert Christoph Karl Beyer (4 August 1913 – 4 September 1966) was a decorated major in the Fallschirmjäger during World War II.
Originally in 1931 he joined the Kriegsmarine , and served with it until under several roles, including that of a naval aviator, until 1940 when he transferred to the Luftwaffe. From 1941 to 1942, he trained as a paratrooper or in German, Fallschirmjäger. By the end of his training he was a tank hunter platoon commander. By May 1942, he was a company commander of the 4th regiment. By 1944 he commander of the first battalion of the 4th regiment. He received the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross for effectively leading his battalion at the battle of Monte Cassino from March 16 to the 19th, against vast numbers of Allied forces.For this feat he was also promoted to the rank of major. Beyer was captured towards the endof the war.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 9 June 1944 as Hauptmann and commander of the I./Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 4
- Thomas & Wegmann 1986, p. 20.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 132.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 220.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Kurowski, Franz (1995). Knights of the Wehrmacht Knight's Cross Holders of the Fallschirmjäger. Atglen, PA: Schiffer Military. ISBN 978-0-88740-749-9.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Thomas, Franz; Wegmann, Günter (1986). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939–1945 Teil II: Fallschirmjäger [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the German Wehrmacht 1939–1945 Part II: Paratroopers] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-1461-8.