Herbert Spencer Gasser
|Herbert Spencer Gasser|
Gasser in 1944
5 July 1888|
|Died||May 11, 1963(aged 74)|
Washington University in St. Louis
|Alma mater||University of Wisconsin–Madison
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
|Known for||Action potentials|
|Notable awards||Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine (1944)
Foreign Member of the Royal Society (ForMemRS) (1946)
Herbert Spencer Gasser (July 5, 1888 – May 11, 1963) was an American physiologist, and recipient of the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine in 1944 for his work with action potentials in nerve fibers while on the faculty of Washington University in St. Louis, awarded jointly with Joseph Erlanger.
Gasser was born in Platteville, Wisconsin, the son of Jane Elisabeth (née Griswold) and Herman Gasser, a physician. His father was from Dornbirn in the Austrian province Vorarlberg, and his mother was of New England Yankee and German Russian ancestry. He received his M.D. degree from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore in 1915.He never married.
During World War I he was engaged in chemical warfare research at the American University. In 1931 he was appointed Professor of Physiology and Head of the Medical Department at Cornell University, New York City. From 1935 He was professor of physiology at the Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research.
- Adrian, L. (1964). "Herbert Spencer Gasser 1888-1963". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 10: 75–26. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1964.0005.
- Perl, E. (1994). "The 1944 Nobel Prize to Erlanger and Gasser". FASEB journal : official publication of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology 8 (10): 782–783. PMID 8050679.
- Kenéz, J. (1968). "Milestones in the development of electrophysiology (Herbert Spencer Gasser)". Orvosi hetilap 109 (32): 1779–1782. PMID 4886065.
- Sulek, K. (1968). "Nobel prize for Joseph Erlanger and Herbert S. Gasser in 1944 for the discovery of high differentiation of the functions of various nerve fibres". Wiadomosci lekarskie (Warsaw, Poland : 1960) 21 (14): 1273–1274. PMID 4880790.
- Chase, M. W.; Hunt, C. C. (1995). "Herbert Spencer Gasser - July 5, 1888-May 11, 1963". Biographical memoirs. National Academy of Sciences (U.S.) 67: 147–177. PMID 11616345.
- Herbert Spencer Gasser — Biographical Memoirs of the National Academy of Sciences
- The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 1944
- Gasser again
- more gasser
- Gasser again again
|This biographical article related to medicine in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|