Herbert Van de Sompel
Herbert Van de Sompel is a Belgian librarian and computer scientist, most known for his role in the development of the Open Archives Initiative (OAI) and standards such as OpenURL, Object Reuse and Exchange, and the OAI Protocol for Metadata Harvesting.
Van de Sompel was born March 20, 1957 in Ghent, Belgium. His Ph.D dissertation in 2000 developed the idea of context-sensitive and dynamic linking of scholarly information resources. In this work, he developed the "concepts underlying the OpenURL framework for open reference linking in the web-based scholarly information environment." Van de Sompel's OpenURL framework allowed for the development of software known as link resolvers which take metadata about a source and attempt to find its full text. Link resolver web services have become widely used within academic libraries. His Ph.D dissertation and later development of the OpenURL standard led to the development and commercialization of the SFX link resolver and a series of products for libraries using this approach pioneered by Van de Sompel.
Van de Sompel currently works at the Los Alamos National Laboratory Research Library as the Lead of the Digital Library Research and Prototyping Team. His most recent work includes the Memento Project, which aims to make accessing archived web content as easy as visiting current web pages.
- Van de Sompel, Herbert. "Herbert Van de Sompel – bio". Los Alamos National Laboratory. Retrieved 2 January 2011.
- Van de Sompel, Herbert; Beit-Arie, Oren (March 2001). "Open linking in the scholarly information environment using the OpenURL framework". D-Lib Magazine 7 (3): 34826. doi:10.1074/jbc.M004545200. ISSN 1082-9873. PMID 10942764.
- Breeding, Marshall (2012). Knowledge Base and Link Resolver Study: General Findings. Retrieved 19 July 2013. "Between February 20 and May 1, 2012 534 libraries have responded to the survey. An additional 22 libraries responded indicated that they do not employ a link resolver."
- Cummings, Joel and Ryan Johnson (2003). "The use and usability of SFX: context-sensitive reference linking." Library Hi-Tech. 21 (1): p 70-84. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/10.1108/07378830310467418
- Herbert Van de Sompel on Twitter
- Van de Sompel's home page at Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Herbert van de Sompel: Dynamic and context-sensitive linking of scholarly information. Dissertation Universiteit Gent, 2000.
|This article about a person involved with library and information science is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|