Herbert Williams (bishop)
|Herbert William Williams|
10 October 1860|
Waeenga-a-hika, Gisborne, New Zealand
|Died||7 December 1937
Napier, New Zealand
|Known for||Scholarship in the Māori language|
|Spouse(s)||Bertha Louise Gertrude Mason|
Williams was born at Waerenga-ā-Hika, Gisborne, New Zealand and educated at Christ's College, Canterbury, The University of New Zealand and Jesus College, Cambridge; graduating B.A. in 1884. He was ordained in 1886, then embarked on his ecclesiastical career with a curacy at West Wratting. After this he was Vice-Principal then Principal of the Māori Theological College and after that Superintendent of the Missionary East Coast District. From 1907 to 1930 he was Archdeacon of Waiapu. In that year he followed in the footsteps of his grandfather (Rt Rev'd William Williams, the first Bishop of Waiapu)  and father (Rt Rev'd Leonard Williams, the third) and was elevated to the Episcopate.
Williams campaigned with Apirana Ngata for the recognition of Māori language as a subject for study in the University of New Zealand, with the study of Māori becoming eligible for a degree of bachelor of arts in 1928.
In 1917 Williams published the fifth edition of A dictionary of the New Zealand language, which updated the work of his father and grandfather. Williams received honorary doctorates in literature from the Universities of New Zealand (1924) and Cambridge (1925). Williams was the president of the Royal Society of New Zealand (1935–36), and of the Polynesian Society from 1929 until his death.
- Obituary Bishop Of Waiapu Maori Scholar And Missionary The Times Wednesday, Dec 08, 1937; pg. 11; Issue 47862; col C
- Biggs, Bruce (30 October 2010). "Williams, Herbert William". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Te Ara – the Encyclopedia of New Zealand. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Firth, Raymond (May 1938). "Bishop Herbert William Williams". Vol. 38, Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland. pp. 74-75. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Williams, Herbert William (WLMS881HW)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "The Clergy List, Clerical Guide and Ecclesiastical Directory" London, John Phillips, 1900
- "Rev. William Williams family". Pre 1839 foreigners in NZ. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Porter, Francis (30 October 2012). "Williams, William Leonard". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Te Ara – the Encyclopedia of New Zealand. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- “Who was Who” 1897-1990 London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
|Anglican Communion titles|
William Walmsley Sedgwick
|Bishop of Waiapu
George Vincent Gerard
|This New Zealand biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an individual Anglican bishop or archbishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|