Hercules is a manufacturer of computer peripherals for PC and Mac.
Hercules Computer Technology, Inc. was formed in 1982 in Hercules, California, by Van Suwannukul and Kevin Jenkins, and was one of the major graphics card companies of the 1980s. Its biggest product was the MDA-compatible Hercules Graphics Card and associated standard, which was widely copied and survived into the 1990s. Hercules Graphics Card, by including the printer port, promoted this dedicated port for printing as a faster port than the serial port. The company also produced CGA compatible cards, and also tried to go head-to-head with EGA with the unsuccessful Hercules InColor Card.
After low sales with InColor, Hercules stopped making its own graphics core and bought graphics chipsets coming from other manufacturers: the company name gradually declined in the 1990s while graphics chipsets firms such as Tseng Labs, S3 Graphics, 3Dfx, nVidia and ATI Technologies became popular, but Hercules sales of graphic cards were still at US$20 million in 1998. Hercules was acquired by ELSA in August 1998 for $8.5m; ELSA also assumed all of Hercules' debts. ELSA entered Chapter 11 bankruptcy the following year, Hercules was closed and the Hercules assets were purchased by the French-Canadian based Guillemot Corporation for $1.5m. In 2000, Hercules became the brand name for Guillemot 3D Prophet graphic cards, based on nVIDIA chipsets in 2000, before switching to ATI Technologies in 2002.
In 2000, Guillemot also introduced a new sound card, Game Theater XP, with Hercules brand name, and Hercules gradually became the computer peripherals brand in Guillemot Corporation.
In 2004 Guillemot announced it would cease to produce graphics cards.
In Guillemot group, computer peripherals (audio interfaces, speakers, webcams, networking) are designed by Hercules division with Hercules brand, while gaming peripherals are designed by Thrustmaster division with Thrustmaster brand.
In 2010, Hercules manufactures computer speakers, computer DJ controllers, webcams and wireless networking peripherals.
- Headquarters: in France (President: Claude Guillemot),
- Research and development: offices in Canada, France, Hong-Kong and Romania,
- Sales: via Guillemot sales branches in Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, UK, USA,
- Distribution to retailers: through distributors,
- Technical support: customer phone and email support by Guillemot technical support team.
Hercules turnover was € 40.9 million (US$ 56.5 million) in 2010.
- Computer DJing: DJ Console = controllers with audio interface (DJ Console Mk2, Mk4, Rmx, 4-Mx) / DJ Control = DJ controllers without audio (DJ Control MP3, MP3 e2, Steel)
- Netbooks: eCafe ec-800, 900, 1000W, 1010W
- Speakers: XPS : Stereo, 2.1, for iPod and 5.1
- Webcams: DualPix: Classic, Infinite, Exchange, Emotion
- Networking: Wireless (WiFi) and ePlug (PowerLine)
Former products: Graphic cards
Hercules based: Hercules Graphic Card (Monochrome Graphics Array), InColor
Tseng based: Dynamite Pro
Rendition based: Thriller 3D
3Dfx based: Stingray 128/3D
S3 based: Terminator Professional, 64, Beast, Beast SuperCharged
nVidia based: Dynamite (before 1999) TNT, TNT2, TNT2 Ultra
nVidia based: Maxi Gamer Phoenix (TNT, TNT2, Vanta)
nVidia based: 3D Prophet (after 2000) DDR-DVI, 3D Prophet 2, 2-Mx, 2 Ultra, 3
ATI based: 3D Prophet 7000, 75000, 8500, 9200, 9500, 9600, 9700
ST Kyro based: 3D Prophet 4000, 4000XT, 4500
Hercules Computer Technology is not related to Hercules Stands, a manufacturer of stands for speakers and instruments.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hercules (corporation).|