Hercules was a brand of motorcycle manufactured in Germany until 1992.
In 1974 Hercules became the first company to offer a Wankel-engined motorcycle for sale to the general public. A prototype was first shown in 1970 at the West Cologne Fall Motorcycle Show to a mixed reception, and the production bike was sold as a Hercules product except in the United Kingdom, where it was marketed as a DKW motorcycle. The W-2000 had a single-rotor air-cooled engine of 294cc that produced 23 hp, later increased to 32 hp. Cooling was by a large fan placed in front of the engine (and the slipstream breeze while riding) and engine lubrication was by manually adding oil to the fuel in the tank.
In 1976 Hercules launched the W-2000 Injection in which engine lubrication was from a separate oil tank via a pump. It had 18-inch wheels, a front disc brake and a rear drum brake. According to a March 1976 review in Cycle World, the handling was good but the bike's low ground clearance limited its cornering ability. That review also declared the W-2000 to be a daily commuting bike, not sport motorcycle.
Hercules introduced a rotary-powered dirt bike (the KC-30 GS Enduro) in May 1975, but the model failed to sell due to its high price ($2,900).
Partial product line 
- Hercules Moped, 49cc (1957)
- Hercules Scooter, 50cc
- Hercules Ultra III Sachs 50 SW
- Hercules Lilliput, 98cc
- Hercules M4 Moped
- Hercules Prior Moped
- Hercules Lastboy
- Hercules K100 (1959)
- Hercules R 200 (1959)
- Hercules 220 (1965)
- Hercules 103 (1966)
- Hercules Postie Bike (1969)
- Hercules K 105 X (1970)
- Hercules K 125 X (1971)
- Hercules K 50 RX (1971)
- Hercules K 125 Military (1971-1990)
- Hercules K 125 (1972)
- Hercules K 125 T (1973)
- Hercules K125 S (1974-1979)
- Hercules W2000 (1974-1978)
- Hercules E1 (1974)
- Hercules KC-30 GS Enduro (1975)
- Hercules 175 GS (1976)
- Hercules GS250 Ice Racer (1977)
- Hercules MC250 (1978)
- Hercules DKW 250 GS (1978)
- Hercules Prima 5S (1984)
- Hercules Prima frisiert
- Hercules GS 125B
- Hercules KJBe
- Hercules K 180 Military (1991-1992)
- Deutsche autos, Motorbuchverlag
- History - Official Sachs Bikes website
- Williams, Greg. "Hercules W-2000: The First Rotary-Powered Motorcycle". Motorcycle Classics March/April 2012. Motorcycle Classics. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
|This German corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This motorcycle, scooter or moped-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|