Hercules and Love Affair
|Hercules and Love Affair|
Hercules and Love Affair
|Origin||New York City, USA|
|Labels||DFA, Moshi Moshi, Mute|
DJ Whitney Fierce
Kim Ann Foxman
|Past members||Nomi Ruiz
Hercules and Love Affair is a musical project from New York based DJ Andy Butler. Members include Butler, Kim Ann Foxman, Mark Pistel, Aérea Negrot, Shaun Wright and Nellyphant. It is signed to DFA Records. The single "Blind" featuring guest Antony Hegarty (lead vocalist in Antony & The Johnsons) was released on 3 March 2008, and the debut album (produced by Butler and Tim Goldsworthy) was released on 10 March. Their self-titled album has been critically well received and charted in the top 40 in several countries. The touring group in 2008 featured guest vocalist Nomi Ruiz.
The band's central figure, Andrew Butler, began his musical career at 15, DJing in a Denver leather bar run by a hostess called Chocolate Thunder Pussy. He then moved to New York, in order to attend Sarah Lawrence College. According to Butler: "I’ve been writing songs since childhood. I made music for dance performances in college (where he studied under Martin Goldray), like a remake of Gino Soccio’s ‘Runaway’ done in the style of Kraftwerk."
The first single "Blind", co-written by and featuring guest Antony Hegarty (lead vocalist in Antony & The Johnsons), was awarded Best Song of 2008 by Pitchfork Media and came in at sixth place in Resident Advisor's Top 30 tracks of that year. The follow-up "You Belong" featured the New York-based vocalist and musician Nomi Ruiz.
In early interviews, Butler stated his intent to release music with a rotating cast of performers and musicians.
The band was captured at London's Lovebox festival by VOGUE TV discussing their sartorial choices.
- Hercules and Love Affair (10 March 2008, DFA Records) Billboard 200 #191, UK Albums Chart #31
- Blue Songs (31 January 2011, Moshi Moshi)
DJ mixes 
- "Classique #2"/"Roar" (3 September 2007, DFA Records)
- "Blind" (3 March 2008, DFA Records) UK Singles Chart #40, Italy Singles Chart #12
- "You Belong" (7 July 2008, DFA Records)
- "My House" (24 January 2011, Moshi Moshi)
- "Painted Eyes" (18 April 2011, Moshi Moshi)
- "Falling" (4 August 2011, Moshi Moshi)
- Robinson, Peter (23 February 2008). "Groove is in the art". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2008-02-23.
- Lester, Paul (2007-01-08). "New band of the day: No 251: Hercules and Love Affair". guardian.co.uk (London). Retrieved 2008-02-21.
- Lindsay, Cam."Hercules and Love Affair’s Disco Fever", Exclaim!, July 2008.
- Petridis, Alexis (7 March 2008). "Hercules and Love Affair record review". London: The Guardian newspaper. Retrieved 4 May 2010.
- Lawrence, Eddy. "Hercules And Love Affair: interview". Time out London.
- McGillivray, Will. "Hercules and Love Affair". Fact Magazine.
- "Hercules & Love Affair @ Studio B, NYC (pics) & Tour Dates". Brooklyn Vegan.
- "Hercules and Love Affair's Andy Butler on His Sidetracked Mix and Hercules' New Record". Village Voice.
- A Fashion And Music Lovebox – Exclusives – Vogue TV
- Pitchfork: Hercules and Love Affair Title New Album, Cover the xx's "Shelter"
- Kele Okereke features on new Hercules And Love Affair album | NME.COM
- OMG, a Q&A with Hercules and Love Affair's Andy Butler
- Official forum
- Hercules and Love Affair at Discogs
- Hercules and Love Affair on Myspace
- Hercules and Love Affair at Last.fm
- Hercules and Love Affair Interview at musicOMH.com
- Hercules and Love Affair – Athene Music Video