Here's to the Mourning
|Here's to the Mourning|
|Studio album by Unwritten Law|
|Released||February 1, 2005|
|Recorded||2004 at Ocean Recording, Glenwood Place, and Royaltone in Burbank, The Blue Room in Laurel Canyon, Pulse in Hollywood, and Sound Wherehouse in Sherman Oaks|
|Genre||Post-grunge, alternative rock, hard rock|
|Producer||Josh Abraham, Sean Beavan, Linda Perry|
|Unwritten Law chronology|
Here's to the Mourning is the fifth studio album by the San Diego, California rock band Unwritten Law, released in 2005 by Lava Records. Much of the lyrics on the album were co-written by singer/songwriter Aimee Allen. She and singer Scott Russo soon began a romantic relationship and formed the side project Scott & Aimee. Allen and Linda Perry contributed to the writing of the album's lead single "Save Me (Wake Up Call)," which reached #5 on US modern rock charts. Overall the album reached #51 on the Billboard 200, becoming the highest-ranking album of the band's career.
When the band began to record the album they were without a drummer (founding drummer Wade Youman had been expelled from the band in 2003). They were joined in the studio by Adrian Young of No Doubt and Tony Palermo of Pulley who filled in on drums for the recording. The band got along so well with Palermo that by the time of the album's release he had joined as their permanent drummer. Here's to the Mourning was also the band's last album with original guitarist Rob Brewer, who was ejected from the group in March 2005, a month after the album's release.
All lyrics written by Scott Russo and Aimee Allen.
|2.||"Get Up"||Russo, Steve Morris||Palermo||4:11|
|3.||"Celebration Song"||Russo, Rob Brewer||Adrian Young||3:41|
|4.||"Because of You"||Russo, Phil Jamieson, Nicholas Wright||Young||3:03|
|6.||"Save Me (Wake Up Call)"||Russo, Linda Perry, Allen||Palermo||3:31|
|7.||"I Like the Way" (additional lyrics by Jamieson)||Russo||Palermo||2:58|
|8.||"Slow Dance"||Russo, Pat Kim||Palermo||3:11|
|9.||"She Says"||Russo, Jamieson||Palermo||3:59|
"Machine" (hidden track)
- Scott Russo - vocals
- Steve Morris - guitar, backing vocals
- Rob Brewer - guitar
- Pat "PK" Kim - bass guitar
- Adrian Young - drums
- Tony Palermo - drums
- John Krovoza - cello on "Walrus"
- Tom Vos - violin on "Walrus"
- Ben Rosen - programming
- Sean Beavan – producer, engineer, mixing
- Josh Abraham – producer of "Celebration Song" and "Because of You" (with Beavan)
- Linda Perry – producer of "Save Me (Wake Up Call)" (with Beavan)
- Critter and Zach Barnhorst – engineers
- Zach Barnhorst, Jay Groin, James Murray, and Alex Pavlides – assistant engineers
- Brain Gardener – mastering
- John Michael Gill - Cover Artist, Graphics
Singles - Billboard (North America)
|2005||"Save Me (Wake Up Call)"||Modern Rock Tracks||5|
|2005||"She Says"||Modern Rock Tracks||32|
In other media
"Celebration Song" featured in Need for Speed Underground 2 and "F.I.G.H.T." was heard in Midnight Club DUB Edition as well as an edited version in Burnout Revenge.
- Allmusic review
- Rolling Stone review
- Levitan, Corey (December 3, 2004). "Unwritten Law shakes off the past, moves forward in a classic direction". signonsandiego.com. Retrieved 2007-08-02.