Here (Rascal Flatts song)
|Single by Rascal Flatts|
|from the album Still Feels Good|
|Rascal Flatts singles chronology|
"Here" is a song recorded by American country music group Rascal Flatts. It was released in September 2008 as the fifth single from their album Still Feels Good. "Here" was co-written by Jeffrey Steele and Steve Robson, both of whom also co-wrote the group's crossover hit "What Hurts the Most" from late 2005-early 2006. Steele has also co-written several other singles for the group.
The song is part of the tracklist for Now That's What I Call Country Volume 2.
"Here" is a mid-tempo country pop ballad that describes the narrator's attempts to find "a place [he's] been looking for", which ultimately turns out to be his lover ("The place that I was trying to reach / Was you right here in front of me"). In the chorus, the narrator says that he "wouldn't change a thing" about the events that led him to her.
Brady Vercher of The 9513 gave the song a "thumbs down" rating. He considered it a "rehash" of the group's late 2004-early 2005 single "Bless the Broken Road" (which also describes the narrator's attempt to find his love). Vercher also stated "the lyrics are really fairly bland [and]…are purposefully generic so that listeners can attach meaning to the song and make it applicable to their own situation." Jim Malec, who reviewed Still Feels Good for the same website, also called it a "much less poignant rewrite" of "Bless the Broken Road". Stephen Thomas Erlewine, in his review of Still Feels Good for Allmusic, said that it "has a surging chorus ideal for both arenas and offices", and that like most of the other tracks on the album, it "settle[s] into a soft mosaic of smooth pop that is as soothing as a warm bath."
"Here" debuted on the Hot Country Songs chart at number 49 for the week of September 20, 2008. In its fifth week on the charts, it reached the Top 20 and made its debut on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 at number 94. "Here" became Rascal Flatts' ninth number 1 single for the weeks of January 3, 2009-January 10, 2009.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||50|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||80|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||57|
"Roll with Me"
by Montgomery Gentry
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
January 3-January 10, 2009
- Vercher, Brady (2008-09-17). "Rascal Flatts - "Here"". The 9513. Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- Malec, Jim (2007-09-25). "Rascal Flatts - Still Feels Good". The 9513. Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Still Feels Good review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-12-10.
- "Rascal Flatts Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Rascal Flatts.
- "Rascal Flatts Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Rascal Flatts.
- "Rascal Flatts Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Rascal Flatts.
- "Best of 2009: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2009. Retrieved December 13, 2009.