Here We Go (Moonbaby song)
|"Here We Go"|
|Single by Moonbaby|
|B-side||"Kitsch Bitch Kool"|
|Released||14 August 2000|
|Writer(s)||Miranda Cooper, Brian Higgins, Matt Gray|
"Here We Go" is a pop song written by Miranda Cooper, Brian Higgins, and Matt Gray, originally recorded by Cooper under the alias Moonbaby. The song was initially released as Moonbaby's first (and only) single in 2000, later being covered by Lene Nystrøm in 2003 and Girls Aloud in 2004. It is most know as the basis of the hit cartoon show Totally Spies!, with rewritten lyrics to fit the show about action and spies.
Background and composition
Miranda Cooper was introduced to British record producer Brian Higgins by Saint Etienne members Bob Stanley and Pete Wiggs in the late 1990s. Cooper began recording music with him under the moniker Xenomania. "As soon as he played me some tracks, I thought 'This feels right.'" Her and her sister attended boarding school in Canford Magna in Dorset, England. Thanks to a connection with Pete Tong, Cooper and Higgins were able to sign a deal with London Records. Cooper was signed as a solo artist in 2000 under the alias of Moonbaby. A four-track sampler was released, featuring "Here We Go" and three other tracks: "Moonbaby", "Deadlines and Diets" (later recorded by Girls Aloud), and "I'm Thru with Love" (later recorded by Alesha Dixon).
Moonbaby released "Here We Go" as her debut single on 14 August 2000, with cover art shot by fashion photographer Ellen von Unwerth. The single failed to make the top 75 on the UK Singles Chart. The deal between Xenomania and London Records fell through. Cooper and Higgins, however, went on to write and produce for other artists as Xenomania. "Here We Go" served as the basis for the theme song to the television cartoon series Totally Spies. In 2003, Aqua vocalist Lene Nystrøm covered "Here We Go" for her debut solo album Play with Me. Her version was compared to Girls Aloud's "No Good Advice", also produced by Xenomania. Girls Aloud themselves covered the song a year later for their second album What Will the Neighbours Say?, which was entirely produced by Xenomania.
Format and track listing
- Here We Go
- Kitsch Bitch Kool
- Here We Go (Capoeira Twins Golightly Mix)
Girls Aloud version
|"Here We Go"|
|Song by Girls Aloud from the album What Will The Neighbours Say?|
|Released||29 November 2004|
|Genre||Pop, power pop|
|Writer||Miranda Cooper, Brian Higgins, Matt Gray|
|What Will The Neighbours Say? track listing|
"Here We Go" was recorded by British all-female pop group for their second studio album What Will the Neighbours Say? in 2004. Their version was also produced by Brian Higgins and Xenomania.
A review for Girls Aloud's album described the song as "a relatively filthy '60s romp". John Murphy of musicOMH said the song is "brilliant […] and throws in a chorus that will have everyone's inner child dancing in front of the bathroom mirror singing into a hairbrush." Kitty Empire of The Observer commented that "the catchy chorus […] will keep the people who provide the background music on sports programmes on TV very happy." Coincidentally, the song has been heard in sports highlights television programs.
Girls Aloud first performed "Here We Go" live as part of their MTV special. A recording of this performance later appeared on the DVD Girls on Film (2005). The group also performed the track on their 2005 concert tour, What Will the Neighbours Say? Live.
Credits and personnel
- Mastering: Dick Beetham for 360 Mastering
- Mixing: Tim Powell, Matt Talt
- Production: Brian Higgins, Xenomania
- Songwriting: Miranda Cooper, Brian Higgins, Matt Gray
- Vocals: Girls Aloud
- Published by Warner/Chappell Music and Xenomania Music
- Ticky Hedley-Dent (August 2008). "Queen of Charts". Tatler. Condé Nast Publications. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- "Here We Go". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2008-04-11.
- Peter Robinson (2004-08-24). "Remembrance Tuesday: Moonbaby 'Here We Go'". Popjustice. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- Ian Youngs (2009-09-11). "Inside Britain's top hit factory". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- Miranda Cooper at the Internet Movie Database
- Peter Robinson (2004-08-24). "Remembrance Tuesday: Lene 'Here We Go'". Popjustice. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Moonbaby Here We Go UK 5" CD SINGLE (162902)". EIL.com. Retrieved 2008-04-11.
- Emma Morgan (2004-12-09). "Girls Aloud - What Will the Neighbours Say?". Yahoo! Music (Yahoo!). Retrieved 2008-02-12.
- John Murphy (2004-11). "Girls Aloud - What Will The Neighbours Say? (Polydor)". MusicOMH. OMH. Retrieved 2010-04-14.
- Kitty Empire (2004-11-28). "Pop CD of the week". The Observer. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved 2009-07-30.
- "Ask us about: Music details 2006". BBC Sport. BBC. 2007-01-25. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Girls Aloud: Girls on Film [DVD]". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-12-18.