|Studio album by the Mountain Goats|
|Released||February 18, 2008
February 19, 2008
|Genre||Folk rock, indie rock|
|Producer||Scott Solter, John Vanderslice|
|the Mountain Goats chronology|
Heretic Pride, is the 11th studio album by the Mountain Goats, released on February 19, 2008 by 4AD, their sixth album on the label. It is the first to feature the band's current lineup of John Darnielle, Peter Hughes, and Jon Wurster. The album was produced by Scott Solter and John Vanderslice.
According to Pitchfork Media, the album takes its title from Aura Noir's song "Black Deluge Night" (found on their 2004 album The Merciless) which contains the couplet "Soaring demons now swarm the skies/ In awe and heretic pride".
A three page comic book press kit was created for this album, with John Darnielle giving a brief text description of each song and songwriter/artist Jeffrey Lewis providing the illustrations. This art is not included in the album packaging, and was created only for promotional usage prior to album release.
Heretic Pride received mostly positive reviews, with website Metacritic projecting an aggregate score of 74/100. The Guardian critic Maddy Costa praised the album as "13 absorbing songs, sparingly orchestrated to concentrate attention on the lyrics [...] that grows more enveloping with every listen.". Pitchfork Media critic Zach Baron awarded the album a rating of 8.0/10, and notes that it marks a return to earlier Mountain Goats albums, both musically and lyrically, and praises the album for its balance, stating "For every furious declaration, there's a moment of uncertainty." 
On the negative side, Mojo awarded the album only 2/5, arguing that "[t]he polished arrangements of Heretic Pride do Darnielle's songwriting no favours". Similarly, despite acknowledging that John Darnielle "is a monstrously talented guy," Slant Magazine criticises the album for going over old territory, arguing that Darnielle "has covered every last of these inches before," and that "[t]he lack of the sort of overarching theme that powered previous discography standouts Tallahassee and The Sunset Tree through their dull bits means that these moments rob the record of a lot of momentum and goodwill." 
All songs written and composed by John Darnielle.
|1.||"Sax Rohmer #1"||3:41|
|7.||"In the Craters on the Moon"||3:32|
|8.||"Lovecraft in Brooklyn"||3:49|
|10.||"How to Embrace a Swamp Creature"||3:27|
|11.||"Marduk T-Shirt Men's Room Incident"||3:21|
|12.||"September 15 1983"||3:43|
|13.||"Michael Myers Resplendent"||2:52|
|iTunes bonus track|
- John Darnielle – vocals, guitar
- Franklin Bruno – piano, organ
- Annie Clark – guitar, backing vocals
- Erik Friedlander – arrangement, strings
- Peter Hughes – electric guitar, bass guitar
- Jon Wurster – drums, percussion
- Rachel Ware Zooi – backing vocals
- Sarah Arslanian – backing vocals
- John Vanderslice – synthesizer, production
- Scott Solter – additional percussion, production, recording, mixing
- Aaron Prellwitz – recording
- Timin Murray – assistant recording
- Darnielle, John. Bio. The Mountain Goats Website
- Baron, Zach. "Heretic Pride review". Pitchfork Media.
- "Press Kit/One Sheet comic book by Jeffrey Lewis". thejeffreylewissite.com.
- Allmusic review
- Blender review
- Crawdaddy! review
- The Guardian review
- NME review
- Paste Magazine review
- Pitchfork Media review
- Slant review
- Sputnikmusic review
- Twisted Ear review
- "Heretic Pride aggregate score". Metacritic.
- Costa, Maddy (February 22, 2008). "Heretic Pride review". London: The Guardian newspaper. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- Mojo Magazine, March 2008 edition, p.106
- Hughes, David. "Heretic Pride review". Slant Magazine.