Heritage Christian School (Indianapolis)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011)|
|Heritage Christian School|
|6401 East 75th Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46250-2703
|Grades||Pre K - 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||16:1|
|Campus||38.5 acres (156,000 m2) campus|
|Color(s)||Blue, White, and Black|
Heritage Christian School is a private, non-denominational, Christian evangelical school with approximately 1,450 students in grades Prep K - 12. It is part of the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI). Heritage is located at the southern terminus of Interstate 69 on the northeast side of Indianapolis at 75th Street and Binford Boulevard.
The vision as stated by the Heritage Christian Website is: "To provide an outstanding spiritual and educational environment where, working with Christian families and churches, students will be thoroughly prepared to fulfill God's purpose for their lives."
The Elementary includes Prep K - grade 4 and has approximately 500 students.
Principal: Brenda Klingerman
Assistant Principal: Mary Lou Cooper
The Lower Middle School includes grades 5 and 6 and has enrollment of approximately 200 students. The Upper Middle School includes grade 7 and 8 and has enrollment of approximately 200 students.
Heritage Christian School is accredited by the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) and the North Central Association (NCA) and has recognition status by the Indiana Department of Education. HCS is also a member of the Indiana High School Athletic Association (IHSAA) and the Indiana Non-Public Education Association.
Heritage Christian's premiere choir, Colla Voce, placed in third at the ISSMA state finals in 2006 and 2008, with a 2nd place finish in 2010.
The Heritage Christian Band department is under the direction of Fine Arts Director Brad Gregory. The department includes High School Concert Band, Middle School Concert Band, and Jazz Band.
Under the direction of Laura Payne, the Orchestra department is composed of High School Advanced Strings Ensemble, the High School Orchestra, and the Middle School Strings.
Art classes are taught by Julie Cooper in the High School and Marisa Gratson in the Middle School. Classes offered include Intro to Visual Art, Advanced 2D Art, Advanced 3D Art, and AP Studio art.
HCS joined the Indiana High School Athletic Association in 2003 and is a Division 2A school.
Sports Awards & Records
- 7 state titles
- 8 semi-state titles
- 9 regional titles
- 15 sectional titles
- 9 city titles
- 2 individual state champions
- 2006-2009; 2014 Girls Basketball State Champions 
- 2008 Football State Champions
- 2007 Football State Runner-up
- 2009, 2010 Baseball State Champions
- 2004 Tennis State Champion
- 2007 Diving State Champion
- 2004-2006 Diving State Finalists
- 2005 Tennis State Runner-up
- Indiana Officials Association Sportsmanship Award 2008-09
- 2008-2009 NISCA/Kiefer Scholar Team Award (Swimming) - Boys Silver Award 2009
- 8 Indiana All-Stars
- All-County and All-State athletes
- Academic All-State athletes
- Cross Country
- Track and Field
- Ski/Snowboard Club
- Cross Country
- Track and Field
Notable alumni of Heritage Christian include:
- Conor Daly (2010), GP3 Series driver
- Jake Short (2008) actor on Disney Channel's show A.N.T. Farm.
- Kelly Faris (2009), University of Connecticut basketball player
- Dayo Okeniyi (2005), portrayed District 11 tribute Thresh in Lionsgate's The Hunger Games (2012)
Notable parents of past and present Heritage Christian students include:
- Tom Abernethy, former professional basketball player
- Brian Bosma, Speaker of the Indiana House of Representatives
- Derek Daly, former Formula One driver
- Anne Marie Tiernon, news anchor at WTHR