Heritage High School (Conyers, Georgia)
|Heritage High School|
|2400 Granade Road Southwest
Conyers, Georgia, 30094-6299
|School district||Rockdale County School District|
|Assistant principals||Bob Bradley
|Teaching staff||91 FTE|
|Student to teacher ratio||16:1|
|Color(s)||Red and blue|
|Athletics conference||8 AAAA|
|Accreditation||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Yearbook||L'Espirit Vol 36 (2010)|
|Website||Heritage High School|
Heritage High School is one of three public secondary schools in Rockdale County in Conyers, Georgia, United States (the others being Rockdale County High School and Salem High School). Heritage High School is home of the Patriots. It has also been the School of Excellence two different years. Recently, in U.S. News & World Report (December 2009) Heritage High school was named a Silver medal school ranking in the top 500 High schools in the nation.
On May 20, 1999, 15-year-old student Thomas "T.J." Solomon opened fire with a .22-caliber rifle on the high school campus, wounding six students. Solomon fired from below the waist. A 15-year-old girl was hospitalized in critical condition, and the other victims suffered from non-life threatening injuries. Solomon initially faced up to 351 years of prison if convicted of aggravated assault and other charges, but in 2000 he was found guilty but mentally ill and was sentenced to 40 years in prison and 65 years of probation. A judge later reduced his sentence from 40 years to 20 years. He will be eligible for parole in May 2014.
- Jill Arrington, ESPN former college football reporter
- Kyle Burger, WVTM-TV television sports reporter and anchor
- Clint Mathis, World Cup soccer player
- Jack McBrayer, actor
- Jamie Newton, Founder of Golf Turf Management, Incorporated. Owner and operator of golf courses worldwide. Also appeared on one season of Survivor.
- The members of Cartel
- "Free US Geocoder". Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- "school-stats.com". Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- Pilcher, James (August 12, 1999). "15-year-old gunman's case sent to adult court". Associated Press. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "6 hurt in Georgia high school shooting". CNN. May 20, 1999. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Ga. Shooter Gets 40 Years". ABC News. November 10, 2000. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- Richards, Doug (November 10, 2000). "Tentative parole set for Heritage High School gunman". 11Alive. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
|This school-related article concerning the U.S. state of Georgia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|