Hero (Enrique Iglesias song)
|Single by Enrique Iglesias|
|from the album Escape|
|Released||3 September 2001|
|Genre||Latin pop, pop|
|Length||4:24 (album version)
4:11 (radio edit)
|Enrique Iglesias singles chronology|
"Hero" is a single released by Enrique Iglesias from his second English album Escape and was written by Iglesias, Paul Barry and Mark Taylor. Iglesias first released the song to radio in early September 2001 to a positive critical and commercial reception.
After the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center, the song was one of the few songs chosen by radio DJs in New York to be remixed with audio from police, firefighters, civilians at Ground Zero, and politicians commenting on the attacks. He was asked to sing the song live at the benefit concert America: A Tribute to Heroes ten days after the September 11, 2001 attacks. Iglesias broadcast his performance from a warehouse in New York alongside Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, and Sheryl Crow. The location of the warehouse was kept secret in case of further attacks. It was Iglesias's first televised performance of the song. He had performed the song earlier at that year's Miss Venezuela but due to the terrorist attacks the show was not aired on television.
The American television series Glee featured a version of the song as a mashup mixed with the Gipsy Kings' "Bamboléo". The release from the twelfth episode (called The Spanish Teacher) in season 3 of the show is named "Bambolero/Hero" and main vocals is by Chord Overstreet (playing the character Sam Evans on the show)
- UK CD1
- "Hero" (Album Version) - 4:24
- "Hero" (Metro Mix - English Version) - 3:28
- "Bailamos" (Album Version) - 3:37
- "Hero" (Video) - 4:24
- UK CD2 - the remixes
- "Hero" (Metro Mix - English Version) - 4:19
- "Hero" (Ventura & Colombo Remix) - 3:43
- "Hero" (Metro Mix - Spanish Version) - 4:19
- "Hero" (Thunderpuss Radio Edit) - 3:18
- DE CD single
- "Hero" (Radio Edit) - 4:11
- "Be With You" (Thunderpuss Radio Mix) - 3:56
- "Hero" (Metro Mix - Spanish Version) - 4:19
- Japanese CD single
- "Hero" (Radio Edit) - 4:11
- "Be With You" (Thunderpuss 2000 Remix) - 7:46
- "Hero" (Metro Mix - Spanish Version) - 3:28
- Japanese Hero/Escape maxi single
- "Hero" (Album Version) - 4:27
- "Escape" (Album Version) - 3:30
- "Hero" (Instrumental Version) - 4:23
The music video for "Hero" was directed by Joseph Kahn and features Iglesias as an honorable criminal hunted by his enemies. Jennifer Love Hewitt plays his love interest, while Mickey Rourke plays one of the men hunting him. The video follows Iglesias and Hewitt running from their enemies in the desert. Finally, Iglesias' enemies track him down and confront him outside a church. The confrontation leads to Iglesias being floored by Rourke, before being struck with a baton. The video skips ahead where Iglesias and Hewitt are seen in the rain surrounded by police cars. Iglesias, though heavily injured, walks towards Hewitt and breaks down beside her. The video ends with Iglesias' death.
In addition to this video a second video was made for the UK with less violence. The final shot of this video shows Iglesias' legs moving, suggesting that he's not dead. While originally made for the UK, this video has since replaced the original video on many music video stations throughout the world.
Awards and nominations
|2002||My VH1 Music Awards||Best Actor in a Video (Jennifer Love Hewitt)||Nominated|
|Is It Hot In Here, Or Is It Just My Video||Nominated|
|The Record of the Year Award||Record of the Year||Nominated|
|Billboard Latin Music Awards||Latin Dance Club/Play Track of the Year||Won|
|Canadian Fannie Awards||Favourite Video||Nominated|
|Comet Awards||Best Male Video||Won|
|MTV Europe Music Awards||Best Song||Nominated|
|Lo Nuestro Award||Video of the Year||Won|
|Los Premios MTV Latinoamerica||Video of the Year||Won|
|MTV Video Music Awards||Best Male Video||Nominated|
|MTV Latin America (North)||Nominated|
|MTV Latin America (Pacific)||Won|
|2003||ASCAP Pop Music Awards||Song of the Year||Won|
|Ivor Novello Awards||Best Selling UK Single||Nominated|
The song topped many charts in the US including the Billboard adult contemporary chart for fifteen weeks. On the latter, the song would re-enter the top ten a year later, the first song ever to do so. The song peaked at number three on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, though it is actually his most played song on the chart, outdoing prior singles "Bailamos" and "Be with You", both of which went to number one on the chart. A remixed recording also topped the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play chart in January 2002.
In February 2002, the song was released in the UK, where it went straight to number one for four weeks, becoming one of the biggest hits of the year there. Up to this point Iglesias had already had two hits in the UK but was largely unknown. "Hero" was seen as his breakthrough in the UK and Escape became one of the best-selling albums of 2002. With sales to date of 836,500, "Hero" stands as the 17th best-selling single of the 2000s in the UK. In Australia, the song reached number one on the ARIA Chart, becoming his first number-one in that country. The song also topped the charts in Spain, Switzerland, the Philippines, Romania, Ireland. and Canada. This is Iglesias' best selling single and has sold eight million copies.
Charts and certifications
- List of number-one singles of 2002 (Canada)
- List of number-one Billboard Hot Latin Tracks of 2002
- List of number-one dance singles of 2001 (U.S.)
- List of number-one adult contemporary singles of 2001 and 2002 (U.S.)
- List of number-one singles in Australia in 2002
- List of number-one singles of 2002 (Ireland)
- List of number-one singles in Romania
- List of number-one singles from the 2000s (UK)
- "Amazon.co.jp： ヒーロー/エスケイプ: エンリケ・イグレシアス: 音楽". amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2011-06-09.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 8th Edition (Billboard Publications)
- "Australian-charts.com – Enrique Iglesias – Hero". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Enrique Iglesias – Hero" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Enrique Iglesias – Hero" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Enrique Iglesias – Hero" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- Steffen Hung. "Danish charts portal". danishcharts.com. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- "Lescharts.com – Enrique Iglesias – Hero" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Officialcharts.de – Enrique Iglesias – Hero". GfK Entertainment.
- "Chart Track: Week 2, 2002". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Italiancharts.com – Enrique Iglesias – Hero". Top Digital Download.
- "Charts.org.nz – Enrique Iglesias – Hero". Top 40 Singles.
- "Topp 20 Single uke 1, 2002 – VG-lista. Offisielle hitlister fra og med 1958" (in Norwegian). VG-lista.
- "Airplay Chart - tydzień 49 - 2002". Polish Music Charts. Archived from the original on 2007-10-24. Retrieved June 9, 2012.
- [dead link]
- "Spanishcharts.com – Enrique Iglesias – Hero" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swisscharts.com – Enrique Iglesias – Hero". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Enrique Iglesias – Hero". Singles Top 60.
- "January/ Archive Chart: 27 January" UK Singles Chart.
- "Enrique Iglesias Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Enrique Iglesias.
- "Enrique Iglesias Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Enrique Iglesias.
- "Enrique Iglesias Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Enrique Iglesias.
- "Enrique Iglesias Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Enrique Iglesias.
- "Enrique Iglesias Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Enrique Iglesias.
- "Enrique Iglesias Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Latin Songs for Enrique Iglesias.
- "ARIA Charts - End of Year Charts - Top 100 Singles 2002". Aria.com.au. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 2002". Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- Radio 1 Official Chart of the Decade, as broadcast on BBC Radio 1 on Tuesday 29 December 2009, presented by Nihal
- "ARIA Chart Sales - End of Decade Top 100 Singles". Aria.com.au. Retrieved 2014-04-02.
- [dead link]
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2002 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Austrian single certifications – Enrique Iglesias – Hero" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter Enrique Iglesias in the field Interpret. Enter Hero in the field Titel. Select single in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Enrique Iglesias; 'Hero')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 2002" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Enrique Iglesias; 'Hero')". Hung Medien.
- "British single certifications – Enrique Iglesias – Bailamos". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Bailamos in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Platinum in the field By Award. Click Search