Heroes & Generals
|Heroes & Generals|
|Genre(s)||First-person shooter, Strategy video game|
Heroes & Generals is a combined first-person shooter and strategy video game in a World War II setting. It is being developed by independent studio Reto-Moto, which is founded by some of the original founders of IO Interactive and the Hitman series. The developers call it a "mass participation game" in contrast to a traditional massively multiplayer online games, where the actions in the FPS-part of the game reflects into the strategy-part.
Heroes & Generals is an online war game with multiple game modes accessible from multiple platforms. Play the game as the hero on the battlefield, the officer making the tactical decisions to win the battle, the general command devising the grand strategy and everything in between. Every player’s action has consequences for the war effort.
The main part of the game is a team based first-person-shooter, but it ties into a persistent game world. Within the strategy-part of the game, players can move resources around on a strategic world map, and when two Assault Teams meet, the battle between them will be played out as FPS-battles. The strategy part of the game feeds resources into the action game.
There will be three gamemodes for the FPS-part of the game for launch; Assault, Skirmish and Interdiction. Assault is a type of domination gameplay, Skirmish is a regular team-deathmatch, and Interdiction is an attack on supplylines.
The game will include World War II era tanks, planes, and land vehicles. Infantry units are also a vital gameplay aspect. Tactical decisions made by officers in grand campaigns affect in-game support, reinforcements, and logistics. Players will encounter a variety of terrain, from fields and countryside to large cities.
Heroes & Generals will also feature unique features that will set it apart from other World War II games. The use of fast vast terrain vegetation will allow players to hide in brush and tall grass without worry of being spotted by snipers. It will be a free to play game, but, unlike other f2p online shooters, it will also have a campaign, various vehicles, and various small details which would make it comparable to games such as the Battlefield series or the Call of Duty series. Also, the game will be able to be played using a tablet or smartphone, and instead of being a different version of the game, it will be inside of the same world in which PC gamers are going to be playing in. However, they have a different role in the game, in which they are commanders, or people who move troops and assault teams, call in airstrikes, etc. This will give the game a new element of realism that few games strive for.
Heroes & Generals is being developed using Reto-Moto's own browser based 3d game engine, called "Retox", and is currently in an early beta-stage. The development-model is referred to as "User Driven Development", and the idea behind it is to show how the game is being made, and in the making the developers hope to get feedback from the players.
Marketing and release
- "It’s Battlefield 1942...2011, With Strategic Stuff to Boot". destructoid.com. Retrieved 2011-11-07.
- "Reto-Moto partners with Square Enix to publish Heroes & Generals". Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Jesper, Kristiansen (2010-10-16). "Reto Moto om Heroes & Generals – Interview". Eurogamer.dk. Retrieved 2011-06-27.
- "Game Overview". mmosite.com. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Interview: Reto-Moto On Heroes & Generals". rockpapershotgun.com. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Heroes & Generals: Jacob Andersen Interview". mmorpgitalia.it. Retrieved 2011-11-07.
- Andersen, Kenneth. "Heroes & Generals Press Release". Heroes & Generals. reto-moto. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Large scale terrain vegetation". heroesandgenerals.com. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- "Heroes & Generals community site". heroesandgenerals.com. Retrieved 2011-11-07.