Heroes (1977 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Jeremy Kagan|
|Produced by||David Foster
|Written by||James Carabatsos|
|Music by||Jack Nitzsche|
|Edited by||Patrick Kennedy|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
|Release date(s)||November 4, 1977|
|Running time||112 minutes|
Winkler plays a Vietnam War veteran with PTSD who sets about finding the men from his unit that had served in Vietnam. Field plays his at-first-reluctant girlfriend and Ford plays one of the former soldiers in his unit, now a dysfunctional stock car driver in Sedalia, Missouri who keeps a stolen machine gun in his motor home. This was the first film released after the conflict ended in 1975 to address Vietnam War issues.
At the bus station, he accidentally meets Carol Bell (Field), a woman unsure of her engagement and imminent marriage to a man she has confused feelings towards. Initially annoyed by Jack, Carol gradually warms to him as they set off on a trip through middle America towards the Northern California: she traveling to think things over about her impending nuptials, he to locate his three old war buddies and involve them in his scheme to raise worms.
It becomes clear that the first two of the three men Jack and Carol locate are in poor condition to do much work of any kind, and when a visit to the parents of the third of Jack's wartime friends results in the disclosure that the friend had died in the war, Jack, who knew the fact but cannot accept it, is launched into a hallucinatory episode based on the tragic battlefield death that Carol helps to pull him out of, so he can finally face reality.
- Henry Winkler as Jack Dunne
- Sally Field as Carol Bell
- Harrison Ford as Ken Boyd
- Val Avery as Bus Driver
- Olivia Cole as Jane Adcox
- Hector Elias as Dr. Elias
- Dennis Burkley as Gus
- Tony Burton as Chef
- Michael Cavanaugh as Peanuts
- Box Office Information for Heroes. The Wrap. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- "Heroes, Box Office Information". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 29, 2012.
- "HEROES: Fearless Fonz". Time. November 21, 1977. Retrieved 2010-09-01.
- Canby, Vincent (1977-11-05). "Movie Review - Heroes - 'Heroes,' Excruciatingly Obvious Film - NYTimes.com". Movies.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
|This article about a comedy–drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|