|Type||Private limited with share capital|
|Founded||Hull, United Kingdom (1979)|
|Headquarters||Melton, United Kingdom|
|Key people||Michael Heuck (CEO)|
|Revenue||£164.9 million (2011)|
|Operating income||£8.1 million (2011)|
|Owner(s)||Heuck family and management|
Heron Foods Ltd. (formerly Heron Frozen Foods Ltd) is an English retail chain founded in 1979 and based in Melton with 235 stores.
Heron Foods has successfully developed its business in selling frozen and convenience store goods at a discount, the majority of which are household brands. Heron occupy eight former Woolworth's locations.
The Heucks have become one of Yorkshire's richest families, with a fortune of £38 million by 2003.
The first store was opened by the Heuck family on Holderness Road, Hull in 1979. In 1999 Heron bought 17 Dawn Til Dusk convenience stores after that chain went into receivership, bringing its total number of stores to over 100. Malcolm and Sheila Heuck had a joint controlling interest in the company from the beginning, but in February 2003, having reached retirement age, they sold their stake to management. The company is now run by their sons Andrew, David and Michael with David Wallgate. The company was ranked 13th in a list of the top 50 independent grocers on 27 February 2010 in The Grocer magazine.
In September 2012 Heron Foods agreed to buy the Cooltrader frozen foods business from Iceland. The deal included 54 of the 58 shops and the depot and head office of Cooltrader. The Cooltrader outlets will be converted to the Heron Foods fascia and branding.
- Heron Foods
- The Grocer 15 September 2012 New stores help lift Heron Foods profits 15% BYLINE: Beth Phillips SECTION: NEWS; p. 13
- Nottingham Evening Post 21 August 2012 Tuesday Edition 1; National Edition Innes England in hunt for stores for growing chain of supermarkets SECTION: BUSINESS POST;BUSINESS; p. 15
- The Daily Telegraph (London) 19 January 2012 Thursday Edition 2; National Edition Pound legacy of Woolworths sites BYLINE: Harry Wallop SECTION: BUSINESS; p. 3
- Yorkshire Post 25 April 2003 Yorkshire's top 10 worth £4.9bn
- About Heron Foods
- Independent Retail News 2 July 1999 COSTCUTTER LINKED WITH DAWN TIL DUSK STORES BYLINE: Daniel Pearce SECTION: NEWS; p. 10
- News & Star | New frozen food shop to open
- Iceland agrees Cooltrader sale to Heron Foods
- Retail Week 3 September 2012 Monday Iceland appoints Paul Foley as international business director
|This article about an English company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This food and/or confectionery corporation or company-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|