Herve Xavier Zengue
With FC Terek Grozny in 2011
|Full name||Herve Xavier Zengue|
|Date of birth||22 January 1984|
|Place of birth||Yaoundé, Cameroon|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18:11, 26 March 2012 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Herve Xavier Zengue or simply Xavier (born 22 January 1984 in Yaoundé) is a Cameroonian football player who last played for FC Terek Grozny. He holds Burkinabe citizenship as he is married to a Burkinabe women.
His participation in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifying game caused controversy in 2011. The Confederation of African Football's rejection of an appeal from the Namibian Football Association was the subject of an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) in December 2011. Namibia had initially appealed to the Confederation of African Football as Zengue was not eligible to play in international fixtures for Les Étalons, their appeal was rejected on a technicality. Namibia later appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to have CAF's rejection overturned. The Court ruled in favour of the African Football Governing body.
Zengue's participation in a 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification game in June 2012 was investigated by FIFA who ruled him ineligible to represent Burkina Faso subject to appeal.
Namibian football officials formally complained about Zengue's participation because it was thought he was not eligible to represent Burkina Faso, as he did not meet the conditions set out in FIFA's statutes which would have enabled him to become eligible for the Burkina Faso national team.[note 1]
On 28 October, the day before the group stage draw for the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations, BBC reported that the player was ineligible and the player had not been granted clearance by FIFA. However, CAF chose to dismiss Namibia's complaint as it was not counter-signed by Burkina Faso's captain as per article 37.1 of CAF's statutes. The Namibian FA appealed against CAF's decision but lost. The NFA lodged a complaint with the Court of Arbitration for Sport to have CAF's decision to reject Zengue overturned.
On 10 January 2012, CAS released a statement that said Namibia's appeal had been rejected. A press released by CAS stated that Zengue had taken residency in Burkina Faso in 1994, before receiving a Burkinabe nationality certificate in 2006 (whilst a player at Ankaragücü in Turkey) and a Burkinabe passport in March 2011 (the day before his début against Namibia). At no point did CAS decide whether or not Zengue was to be considered eligible for international football with Burkina Faso.
In December 2012, FIFA chose to punish Burkina Faso for fielding the ineligible Zengue in their World Cup qualifying game versus The Congo. Congo were awarded a 3–0 victory and 3 points.
|2007–08||Viktoria Žižkov||Gambrinus Liga||15||0||—||15||0|
|2009–10||Czech 2. Liga||27||2||—||27||2|
|2010||Terek Grozny||Russian Premier League||5||0||0||0||—||5||0|
|Burkina Faso national team|
Statistics accurate as of match played 2 June 2012
- FIFA statutes on player eligibility:
- He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
- His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
- His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
- He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association.
- HERVE XAVİER ZENGUE – Futbolcu Bilgileri TFF
- HERVE XAVIER Zengue – FK VIKTORIA ŽIŽKOV – oficiální stránky
- "Soccer-Namibia's Nations Cup protest is rejected". reuters.com. 10 January 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- Herve Xavier Zengue – FIFA competition record
- "Namibia play Burkina Faso under protest". SuperSport. 4 June 2011. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "FIFA statutes" (PDF). FIFA. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "Burkina cleared for Africa Cup of Nations". BBC Sport. 28 October 2011. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Decisions of sub-organising committee of the Africa Cup of Nations". CAFonline.com. 29 October 2011. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Congo benefit as Burkina Faso docked points by Fifa". BBC Sport. 21 December 2012. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "H. ZENGUE". Soccerway. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- "Hervé Zengué". National Football Teams. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- "HERVE XAVİER ZENGUE". TFF. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- "Hervé Zengué". National Football Teams. Retrieved 24 December 2014.